USA Horselogging

cousin jack

This is a chap called Greg Caudell, lives and works in Washington state, just watch this through to the end and then tell me theres no place for horse logging in this day and age

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvAA7XZSGQs&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Belgian draft horses logging 3 abreast[/ame]

This is a chap called Greg Caudell, lives and works in Washington state, just watch this through to the end and then tell me theres no place for horse logging in this day and age

Every time i see footage of horse logging it brings me joy......

Would love to do some work with some in the future.

Every time i see footage of horse logging it brings me joy......

Would love to do some work with some in the future.

I'm glad that people enjoy seeing it, done well it is impressive stuff, unfortunately there are some people who play at it, call themselves horse loggers and then pull out a twig at a time, and wonder why no-one takes them seriously. This is what I mean

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by cousin jack
Added video

have you seen the DVD sold on ebay called "low impact forestry workshop" its about 60mins all about horse logging, how to lay the woods out and various methods of horse extraction, pretty interesting stuff

Yes, I've got that one. I have got one on it's way from Greg Caudell now. I've also got a great Scandanavian one, which takes you through from a single horse and sled, through to a pair and powered grapple loader. It is amazing what muscle power, pulleys and leverage can achieve, unfortunately a lot of knowledge is being lost each passing year and it needs to be redressed now, I know from my own experience just how much you can learn from a knowledgeable man, I learnt more in two weeks from one chap, than I would have learnt in two years on my own.

I'm glad that people enjoy seeing it, done well it is impressive stuff, unfortunately there are some people who play at it, call themselves horse loggers and then pull out a twig at a time, and wonder why no-one takes them seriously.

Thats my only exposure to 'oss logging, and why I never took it seriously before. At various woodland shows over the years I've watched these demos and thought ''I could carry that out!''. Perhaps people invest so much time and money into their animals that they're reluctant to injure them? By the way, on that subject I passed a sign yesterday that said ''Horse Breaking''. Never realised you could do that with horses, but if you want me to ask for any spares - feel free! :biggrin::thumbup:

Thats my only exposure to 'oss logging, and why I never took it seriously before. At various woodland shows over the years I've watched these demos and thought ''I could carry that out!''. Perhaps people invest so much time and money into their animals that they're reluctant to injure them? By the way, on that subject I passed a sign yesterday that said ''Horse Breaking''. Never realised you could do that with horses, but if you want me to ask for any spares - feel free! :biggrin::thumbup:

The second video is what most people see, and they think its quaint and lovely, and totally non-commercial, which "that" is. It makes my teeth itch when he says, "horse logging is slow, VERY slow", I always find myself shouting at the pc then, talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Any forester seeing that, pulling one 8ft log at a time will just shake his head and walk away. I have mentioned Simon Lenihan before, he told me about a job he was called in to do, Ashpole Wood,in Yorkshire. A group of "horse loggers" had got a contract to extract ash trees from a steep place, they felled the trees, (80-100ft), straight as a die, and then started to cross cut them:ohmy: at 8ft lengths, to parbuckle them onto a small 8-wheeler, after 3 days they had extracted approx. 10 ton. This was too much for the head forester, who had them out.Horse logging was now a dirty word. The land agent knew of Simon and he was called in to finish the job. He felled the trees on to a bearer, this gave the horses the help they needed to start the load, one horse, tree length, straight down the bank into the field below. When the head forester turned up at lunch time, there was 30 ton in the field, he wanted to know "who" had got them there, he could not believe it at first, untill he saw it with his own eyes. But, had he not seen a good man, (and horse) at work, he would forever have damned horse logging, based on his experience with the first gang. They just did not have the know how to deal with it, yet they all advertise themselves as professional horse loggers, tarring us all with the same brush