first big day out with new mill setup

farmerjohn

the first day 3 of us went to the site (who i was paying) but we really only needed 2 of us, it was more a bit of a crack for the lads as we got on really well on some other jobs recently and they both wanted to come.

would i do it again, for the timber???

yes, I would probably do it 2 or 3 times a year if it was similar size and quality, not i have done all the outlay with mill, saws etc etc. I would do it again if nothing else out of principle to stop a lovely bit of timber like that getting split for firewood as that was the other option.
i am starting a separate company focusing on bespoke joinery and interior design and supply of unique one off timber slabs so most of the stuff i mill i am hoping to sue myself.

• Like 4

Pricing and selling are two different things.
"Character grade oak"
£20-£60 per cubic foot kiln dried.
So stack in a barn with stickers for 4 years.
Take to a kiln and pay £xxx
Then find buyers who want 10' x 4' x 3" slabs.
Over sized slabs like yours will be at the top end £50-60 a cubic foot.
£5-600 a slab
Sold green half price.
£250-£300.
These are commercial retail prices.

Or put legs on it and charge £2-3k
[emoji848][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

The milling is hard (but satisfying and personally rewarding) work.

Finding someone to part with their cash is even harder.  That's probably why so many of us end up with stacks of timber in the yard that never moves...

It is a tragedy of our times that builders would rather go to the merchant and pay for imported just for the convenience.

Mate recently was offered £10 a board for some Alaskan milled Elm.  Scaffold boards are £10 a piece, needless to say, he didn't warm to the idea.  

Truly a tragedy that folks tend not to recognise the value of timber such as in the pics - lovely!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1