first big day out with new mill setup

farmerjohn

On 10/01/2019 at 06:49, Khriss said:

Perfect cuts :) glad you missed the nails. K

Thanks Khriss.
unfortunately i made a school boy error, first cut 'clipped' a screw i put into the log to hold wedges. It was so little it only knocked the set off all the teeth on the top of the chain only. this made the cut want to dive deeper into the log. we ended up having to wedge the ladder on the top of the flat first cut and re-screw it into the timber to get the cut flat

• Sad 1

On 10/01/2019 at 11:38, trigger_andy said:

Wow,. thats some beautiful Slabs! 

Are you using 2 x MS880's? 

How did you find the job? Easier or harder than using a single MS880 and a 48" Mill and Bar?

If you dont mind me asking what did you charge for a job like that?

I had the dreaded black stain of death on a log I milled lately. :( The Cable then doubled up after this cut. 

50046977_2170532773007617_5324859342153842688_n.jpg

re' cost,

no money changed hands, i milled it and paid my lads for half of the timber.
we had 38 hours in it, plus my tractor and fuel oil etc, owner of the timber put a few of his lads on to help us now and again and he was with us most of 2nd day with his crane trailer lifting slabs out.

I would be interested to know what people charge for a double ended mill and 2x men on it for a 8 hour day,

2 hours ago, farmerjohn said:

we are using 1x ms880 and 1x ms650.
plenty of power, biggest differance is using the hyper skip chain.

I have only ever used double headed mills. as far as the mill goes i actually like my swerber mill a lot more, i know its heavy but its 2 man system so does not have much effect on use.
i was going to sell the older setup but am not 100% sure now!!!!

Thats good to know the two saws work well together. I have a 088 and 064 so they should work well together as well. 

Never heard of a Swerber? 

re' cost,

no money changed hands, i milled it and paid my lads for half of the timber.
we had 38 hours in it, plus my tractor and fuel oil etc, owner of the timber put a few of his lads on to help us now and again and he was with us most of 2nd day with his crane trailer lifting slabs out.

I would be interested to know what people charge for a double ended mill and 2x men on it for a 8 hour day,

How much Slabs did you end up with in the end then? Recon it was worth it?

Ive heeard folk charging £300-£350 a day for a Double Ender and if there is no helper then you add £100 to bring your own guy.  But if you're getting slabs out that are worth over a Grand Each its fair money.

he was with us most of 2nd day with his crane trailer lifting slabs out.

The timber looks lovely!  The trailer definitely caught my eye too - great unit!!

The pricing issue always seems to kill the option of milling unless either the miller or the owner particularly want that piece of timber.  Criminal really but the cost of doing it always seems to take the shine off the reality of doing it (for the person that has to pay) as far as I've experienced.  Once the owner knows what the cost of milling is, they seem to instantly loose their excitement.

£1000 / board?  Would you ever find a buyer at that price point Andy?  I totally agree, it's a priceless commodity, but I can't find anyone that would pay those prices.  I've got 2 old Beech sticks to mill (bit buts) but I'll do it for myself because I want a big slab kitchen table - the guy that I took the trees down for can have a couple of slabs if he's interested but the remainder is more likely to go to firewood.... Enough to make you weep really. 

9 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

worth over a Grand Each

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

How much Slabs did you end up with in the end then? Recon it was worth it?

Ive heeard folk charging £300-£350 a day for a Double Ender and if there is no helper then you add £100 to bring your own guy.  But if you're getting slabs out that are worth over a Grand Each its fair money.

the tree was 18ft 8 ish long so as we made a cut we slid the board off and cut it to make 1x 10'4" and 1x  8'4"

mainly due to being able to dry them and (my kiln im building is 13ft 6" long) and handling them.
think we ended up with 5 full bits cut at 8 and 10ft and 1 board left in full length

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

The timber looks lovely!  The trailer definitely caught my eye too - great unit!!

The pricing issue always seems to kill the option of milling unless either the miller or the owner particularly want that piece of timber.  Criminal really but the cost of doing it always seems to take the shine off the reality of doing it (for the person that has to pay) as far as I've experienced.  Once the owner knows what the cost of milling is, they seem to instantly loose their excitement.

£1000 / board?  Would you ever find a buyer at that price point Andy?  I totally agree, it's a priceless commodity, but I can't find anyone that would pay those prices.  I've got 2 old Beech sticks to mill (bit buts) but I'll do it for myself because I want a big slab kitchen table - the guy that I took the trees down for can have a couple of slabs if he's interested but the remainder is more likely to go to firewood.... Enough to make you weep really. 

I think some of the biggest boards in the pics that are also really clean would sell for £1000. Maybe not right away but for sure they'd get that price. Just look at the size of them! 

1 minute ago, farmerjohn said:

assume you went for the middle of the tree you can say its 5.5m long, 1.3m wide, 0.075m thick, this is 0.536m3

i regularly see timber that size advertised for 2500 - 3000 a m3 which is £1,340 - £1,608

Yeh, I agree. But do they sell for that? If I was in the market for a Slab that size thats what Id expect to hear from the Seller. But If I got one for a Bag of Sand Id be happy and maybe the seller too?

Just now, trigger_andy said:

Yeh, I agree. But do they sell for that? If I was in the market for a Slab that size thats what Id expect to hear from the Seller. But If I got one for a Bag of Sand Id be happy and maybe the seller too?

thats another question isnt it!!!!
does anybody have  a contact for prime grade european timber, in relatively small quantities for skirting boards etc, like 25mm x 150's and 25x200mm ish