Jump to content
Woodworks

New branch logger in action

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, shillo said:

pretty sure those are on eBay, new, various sizes.

nice

That is the other firm mentioned on here. Welmac matched their price and I have had dealings with Welmac before so happy to go with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Make sure it will shear before it cuts out the tractor, or worse. I made that mistake and stripped the drive cog on the pto.. was logging Hawthorn at the time. A v that was just a touch too big went in and immediatly jammed the blades The shearpin stayed intact. Was rated for heavier duty than the pto gearing on a compact tractor! It's on a clutch now. 35 hp tractor. 

Yes broke a pin today when using the PTO in low range. It's only a small tractor so put it in high and it will stall before biting off more than it can chew. This as big as it can go with our wee tractor

47353397_2318130688419899_8176808684299485184_o.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

Yes broke a pin today when using the PTO in low range. It's only a small tractor so put it in high and it will stall before biting off more than it can chew. This as big as it can go with our wee tractor

47353397_2318130688419899_8176808684299485184_o.jpg

Youre safe enough so! The one ive got will squeeze through 12cm but rated at 11 so maybe that little bit more bite was too much for the gear.. plus the fact it stopped so fast! You mentioned you're using it for charcoal. There's about 20 cube  of logged ash in my yard.. you reckon it would be worth getting a basic retort? I have no knowledge of making charcoal.. but am struggling to get people to see the value in branch loggings..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Youre safe enough so! The one ive got will squeeze through 12cm but rated at 11 so maybe that little bit more bite was too much for the gear.. plus the fact it stopped so fast! You mentioned you're using it for charcoal. There's about 20 cube  of logged ash in my yard.. you reckon it would be worth getting a basic retort? I have no knowledge of making charcoal.. but am struggling to get people to see the value in branch loggings..

Mate branch logging makes great charcoal. I used to have a TR70 and made bags and bags of the stuff. Couldn't sell it for love nor money and sold it. Used the sacks over the years for making charcoal as a hobby but sales have been picking up year on year so instead of chucking all the small stuff through the processor (tedious work) decided to have another dabble with a branch logger. Having the conveyor is so much nicer than messing around with loads of small bags and the bigger capacity is a boon. 

 

Making charcoal in a retort has proved remarkably easy. Sounds like a dark art with a ring kiln but no such problems with a retort. I built my own for not a lot and keeps me out of mischief for some of the summer 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

 You mentioned you're using it for charcoal. There's about 20 cube  of logged ash in my yard.. you reckon it would be worth getting a basic retort?

Beau is being too modest, he has designed and built a simple retort  that makes charcoal from these loggettes in less than an hour plus a neat handling system for the barrels.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Beau for putting this branch logger video on the thread Iam pretty impressed with this set up the model you have what would you say the average length of log would be and 2-3” sounds the ideal size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shavey said:

Thanks Beau for putting this branch logger video on the thread Iam pretty impressed with this set up the model you have what would you say the average length of log would be and 2-3” sounds the ideal size

I will have a measure up

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Have you any pics on here?

Not of the MK11 but you can follow  my musings on here 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

Not of the MK11 but you can follow  my musings on here 

 

Thanks. Thats me kept out of mischief for the evening! Best of luck with your new logger!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.