New branch logger in action

Woodworks

3 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Make sure it will shear before it cuts out the tractor, or worse. I made that mistake and stripped the drive cog on the pto.. was logging Hawthorn at the time. A v that was just a touch too big went in and immediatly jammed the blades The shearpin stayed intact. Was rated for heavier duty than the pto gearing on a compact tractor! It's on a clutch now. 35 hp tractor. 

Yes broke a pin today when using the PTO in low range. It's only a small tractor so put it in high and it will stall before biting off more than it can chew. This as big as it can go with our wee tractor

47353397_2318130688419899_8176808684299485184_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

Yes broke a pin today when using the PTO in low range. It's only a small tractor so put it in high and it will stall before biting off more than it can chew. This as big as it can go with our wee tractor

47353397_2318130688419899_8176808684299485184_o.jpg

Youre safe enough so! The one ive got will squeeze through 12cm but rated at 11 so maybe that little bit more bite was too much for the gear.. plus the fact it stopped so fast! You mentioned you're using it for charcoal. There's about 20 cube  of logged ash in my yard.. you reckon it would be worth getting a basic retort? I have no knowledge of making charcoal.. but am struggling to get people to see the value in branch loggings..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Youre safe enough so! The one ive got will squeeze through 12cm but rated at 11 so maybe that little bit more bite was too much for the gear.. plus the fact it stopped so fast! You mentioned you're using it for charcoal. There's about 20 cube  of logged ash in my yard.. you reckon it would be worth getting a basic retort? I have no knowledge of making charcoal.. but am struggling to get people to see the value in branch loggings..

Mate branch logging makes great charcoal. I used to have a TR70 and made bags and bags of the stuff. Couldn't sell it for love nor money and sold it. Used the sacks over the years for making charcoal as a hobby but sales have been picking up year on year so instead of chucking all the small stuff through the processor (tedious work) decided to have another dabble with a branch logger. Having the conveyor is so much nicer than messing around with loads of small bags and the bigger capacity is a boon. 

Making charcoal in a retort has proved remarkably easy. Sounds like a dark art with a ring kiln but no such problems with a retort. I built my own for not a lot and keeps me out of mischief for some of the summer 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

You mentioned you're using it for charcoal. There's about 20 cube  of logged ash in my yard.. you reckon it would be worth getting a basic retort?

Beau is being too modest, he has designed and built a simple retort  that makes charcoal from these loggettes in less than an hour plus a neat handling system for the barrels.

• Like 4

Just now, shavey said:

Thanks Beau for putting this branch logger video on the thread Iam pretty impressed with this set up the model you have what would you say the average length of log would be and 2-3” sounds the ideal size

I will have a measure up

• Like 1