cleaning veg oil!

carlos

I wonder if you could empty the oil tank and fill it up that cilit bang or similar and run it through to clear any potential blockages..  never thought of that, but if you had a blocked pump or was getting on that way I suppose its better that poking around with a pipe cleaner..     

Never tried cilit bang on any part of a saw personally so cant comment, but i’ve seen what it does to some plastics. The mrs cleaned her kitchen in her old flat one day with it, she was fairly chuffed with its results on the tiles, cooker etc so she moved on to the bathroom with it. It melted the shower head and made the toilet seat blister, destroyed the hinges on the soft close seat and discoloured her bath panel..... shes never used it again!!! So i’d be a bit dubious about running it through a saw for those reasons.

3 hours ago, Ratman said:

Never tried cilit bang on any part of a saw personally so cant comment, but i’ve seen what it does to some plastics. The mrs cleaned her kitchen in her old flat one day with it, she was fairly chuffed with its results on the tiles, cooker etc so she moved on to the bathroom with it. It melted the shower head and made the toilet seat blister, destroyed the hinges on the soft close seat and discoloured her bath panel..... shes never used it again!!! So i’d be a bit dubious about running it through a saw for those reasons.

I  suppose you could experiment by soaking a plastic part or parts in some of it. though I did say, or something similar..  to cover myself on the off chance it might not be advised to use that particular product...

The reason I mention it is because oil wasn't running out of one of my saws, fiddled about with it as you do, taking parts off to figure out whats gone wrong and ended up losing a part or two in the process..   its been left so long I haven't a clue what goes were even if I now get new parts...

If only I'd thought to run some detergent through the thing instead..

one of the good things about this forum Ratman you learn somethin every day...   

And I do hope your Miss's was suitably embarrassed when she showed you round the house at the damage she'd done ☹️

This is what you need for removing carbon and baked on oil, Carbon off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc-tQ9Pac-g

It's made by Discovery products in the USA and although it can be bought there by the gallon and used in a dipping tank, for some reason that's not available here, the only way I've found to buy it in the UK is to get the aerosol version which is available from Amazon, as you can see it eats baked on cooking oil and carbon so it makes de-coking an engine a pleasure and does no harm to alloy, cheers.

• Like 1

I  suppose you could experiment by soaking a plastic part or parts in some of it. though I did say, or something similar..  to cover myself on the off chance it might not be advised to use that particular product...

The reason I mention it is because oil wasn't running out of one of my saws, fiddled about with it as you do, taking parts off to figure out whats gone wrong and ended up losing a part or two in the process..   its been left so long I haven't a clue what goes were even if I now get new parts...

If only I'd thought to run some detergent through the thing instead..

one of the good things about this forum Ratman you learn somethin every day...   

And I do hope your Miss's was suitably embarrassed when she showed you round the house at the damage she'd done ☹️

Embarrassed....... no!
Chuffing fuming..... absolutely!
I had the task of fitting new though.

Post some pics of your saw, people may advise on whats missing.
  • Like 1

This is what you need for removing carbon and baked on oil, Carbon off...

It's made by Discovery products in the USA and although it can be bought there by the gallon and used in a dipping tank, for some reason that's not available here, the only way I've found to buy it in the UK is to get the aerosol version which is available from Amazon, as you can see it eats baked on cooking oil and carbon so it makes de-coking an engine a pleasure and does no harm to alloy, cheers.

Is it related to nitromors [emoji6]

18 hours ago, spudulike said:

Well if you have used the stuff in your saw, you now reap what you sow. I get bloody sick and tired of getting saws in run on bio oil, veg oil or turpentine oil and having to make them look nice for their return after service. This oil takes paint off older saws and sticks like shyte to a blanket! It also hits their serviceability and resale value.......I hate the stuff - fill your boots and keep your mouth closed when using the compressor:cursing:

Stick with rapeseed and it won't be an issue. Having said it, I feel a compressor is a necessity if you use a chainsaw. I use one virtually every day to clean the saws before and after I true the bars, etc.

6 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Trouble is they then eat through any plastic parts looking for more.

It was just an idea, not necessarily a good idea though :D. I have had some success cleaning stuff using one of the oven cleaning kits from Tesco, Lakeland and Wilko and other places where you get a bag to put the shelves in, pour some cleaner in with them and leave them for a couple of hours. Plastic is at your own risk I've only used it on metal.