Entrenched Ivy on Mature ASH removal

wyk

As regards the ivy being left, there is surely a happy medium between reducing wind load and stress on the tree and allowing some of the ivy to remain, therefore preserving both as a more diverse ecosystem than either one could be on its own..

to be fair that amount of ivy will regrow very fast even if you do cut it all off but it can be a habitat and also a good source of late pollen for bees. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Bloody bees, ivy, diverse ecosystems! 

Load of nonsense, plenty of ivy everywhere, if the trees worth keeping, take it off or cut it at the base.

No free honey for you Mick!

Valid point regarding the ivy, plenty of trees around here hanging with it when you stop to take note. Was just a thought, it could have worked in this instance as total removal of that particular ivy looks tricky enough. No arguing here that its a tree worth keeping, just saying its not always 100% one way or the other.

I’m only joking about my hatred for bees, I mean it’s unfortunate that I was stung multiple times and I have this ultra allergy thing going on, but I don’t hate bees.

My whole garden is/was pollinator orientated, verbena, echinops, black eyed susans, echinacea.

Might have to dig them all up and plant ornamental grasses now.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Just now, Mick Dempsey said:

I’m only joking about my hatred for bees, I mean it’s unfortunate that I was stung multiple times and I have this ultra allergy thing going on, but I don’t hate bees.

Backtrack all you like, I'm still not giving ya a pot of honey, too late now Mick!

But yeah, they are admirable creatures. Relentless workers, and generally docile.. I get the odd sting but am luckily not allergic, my girlfriend is so she has to be much more careful. Was it from a hive or wild bees that you got your multiple stings?

• Like 1

Can you get a MEWP to it? I’d suggest getting as much of the ivy off as possible and a 90ft MEWP would certainly give you access to most of that. No need to climb if your clients are happy to pay.

I would say pop some hedge trimmers a claw hammer a 150 and a set of headphones in in toe arsenal and go to town. It looks like a absolute nightmare job and by the time your done you’ll be having nightmares for weeks. But works work and if you don’t have to climb through that crap then that will take most the swearing out of the job.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

Backtrack all you like, I'm still not giving ya a pot of honey, too late now Mick!

But yeah, they are admirable creatures. Relentless workers, and generally docile.. I get the odd sting but am luckily not allergic, my girlfriend is so she has to be much more careful. Was it from a hive or wild bees that you got your multiple stings?

Was stung half a dozen times by Wild bees then again a few months later, again multiple times. This set off a toxic shock thing, so I’m still undergoing tests to assess how bad it is.

Of course at the moment it’s not an issue.

Edited by Mick Dempsey