Entrenched Ivy on Mature ASH removal

wyk

5 hours ago, EdwardC said:

What it comes down to is having the information to make an informed decision rather than basing your decision on ignorance and past bad practice.

that isn't fair - you're just looking down on people now and all because you've given up manual labour and spent some time reading books. 

Anyone who mows their lawn regularly could be considered a destroyer of worlds. 

15 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Given that I think ecoplugs are  an expensive  form of litter I'd hesitate to  recommend their use but...

do you think its chemically impossible for ecoplugs to poison the host tree when drilled into 'veteran' ivy? 

The phenomenon of glyphosate 'flashback' is more usual between two trees of the same species that have root connections, so stump killing a syc on the boundary could kill the one next door etc, but could the herbicide be translocated to the ivy roots and transported accross the ivy root cell walls directly into the tree roots? I wouldnt want to risk the chance on a champion tree like that. 

40 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

rather than based on ignorance, (e.g ivy kills trees),

I have read a good few tree books myself, maybe not the all incunabula you've had access to, but the core texts. I wouldn't say it is ignorance to think ivy kills trees - the increased drag leading to windthrow and the smothering of buds leading to leggy growth only right at the tips. Ivy isn't doing a tree any favours, it's only hindering its growth and survival. The habitat ivy provides is another matter entirely.

I can't believe an educated person can't see that on  deciduous trees that have evolved to be bare in winter during the strongest winds the increased drag caused by an ivy infestation will increase the chance of windthrow

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Like 5

If someone invented a systemic fungicide and a cost effective way of getting into the xylem, and it was found to be effectively disributed around the tree killing the pathogen and halting the spread of decay,you could argue it wouldnt be ethical to use this new fungicide to save a nice tree, because pathogenic fungi evolved simultaneously with trees. One could argue saving a tree from a pathogen, if it were made possible would be wrong, as its only natural for trees to suffer pests and diseases, any intervention would upset other oranisms that thrive on wood decay. The best thing for ecosystems is if man doesnt even get near enough to photograph them?

Edited by tree-fancier123

I’ve given it a some thought.

If we must use cauliflower fields, foxes and rabbits to represent the players in this drama, then it would be more accurate to make the tree the field of cauliflowers, the ivy is rabbits and the foxes are your beloved pigeons and lichen.

The field of cauliflowers can live with the rabbits, but is diminished and vulnerable, the removal of the rabbits will unconditionally benefit the cauliflowers, the only losers will be the foxes who toddle off to the nearby field of less valuable carrots.

Edited by Mick Dempsey