I can remember what the country side looked like before Elm diseases !

Mark2

You could stand on a Hill in Somerset look 10-15 miles and all you would see is trees !no feilds. I’m not exaggerating!

there were so many Elms in the hedge rows.

we have got used to what we see know, we know no different. But consider the implications—- increased wind, loss of wildlife, complete change to the environment! 

It was’nt only ‘Dutch Elm disease (D,E,D) you could get grants for grubbing out hedges complete with the other types trees oaks,ash,sycamore’s ect ect .

i point out this for a lot of reasons ! Relevant to present day. A lot of Britain was the same ! Pause for one moment and imagine that world compared to this.

• Like 3

This industry that we are part of —- Arborculture, forestry, timber industry, nursery, cider industry ect ect, we are the caretakers of what is remaining! Were a modest lot !

(except me) we just get on with it, enjoy our work feed the family and that’s it ! No !

What we do is preserve an indangered environment!

more so now than ever before. With new tree diseases over the last decade.

the remaining trees we try and make safe and extend life span. We plant. With forestry and milling we create a value to that landscape I mentioned above ! 

We need as an industry to consider the massive potential of what we do and ways to expand that industry!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

When we get an infection we can sometimes be helped by drugs from the doctor. Whats needed is more medicines for trees and less drugs for tree workers.

Speak for yourself there mate! Dont worry, there will be plenty of trees around long after we are gone, no matter what happens to the planet. Well, until it is gobbled up by the Sun.

Interesting thread, would be nice to see a few photos if you have them? DED had made its mark long before I was interested in treework.

Tree fancier-123

we are the medicine ! it’s down to us. One example— 

Not long ago if you rang a timber merchant up and said you had one oak butt to sell, he’d advice you to saw it for logs ! Country wide think of the wast, the reduced value!

with small and mobile milling there’s big potential, ditto the firewood industry , I’m thinking of potential employment, having read that thread about silky fox today!

times that by thousands! 

Im thinking of fantastic furniture i’v seen here today.

• Like 1

Mesterh

sadly none of my own photos but I may try and look some up.

wonkey 

spot on with that one good photos. that gale damage was the result of the previous loss of trees as a countywide windbreak! (Chain reaction)

with ash dieback ect ect 

Our whole industry right now needs fore site.

the good news is where there’s a problem there’s an opportunity!!

I remember them there was a lovely avenue just along the road from where I live trees like in this pic on both sides of road for nearly 200 metres

Trees02w1.jpg

Alot of hedgerows used to look like this, now the whole countryside locally is more barren/bleak and

windswept in comparison with miles of flailed hedges with alot fewer trees.

I think people have forgotten just  how dramatically the whole landscape has  changed because they have got used to how it looks now, as being normal.

Next to go will be the ash which is the predominant hedge tree left locally.

Enviro schemes encourage new woodland planting & hedgerow planting but few seem to consider hedgerow trees.

Also  best practice is to flail hedge every 3 yrs not every year or even several times a year which seems common....so you get more hawthorn berries etc for wildlife etc

Alot of hegdes look like

image.png

Edited by Stere
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Mark2 said:

Our whole industry right now needs fore site.

the good news is where there’s a problem there’s an opportunity!!

Unfortunately, it will also be an opportunity for unscrupulous types to kill off a lot of healthy ash trees claiming that they are dangerous/diseased.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1