Single cab - Tipper conversion cost?

James905

1 hour ago, gdh said:

We've had no issues with it at 20,000 miles or the old one with 80,000 and there's 5year warranty anyway. 

The warranty would not cover DPF issues such as mine as it was considered a "driving style" issue and not a mechanical fault. They actually have this covered in the handbook somewhere. 

11 hours ago, gdh said:

Sorry I never replied in the last thread, I completely forgot. I did find the prices for when we got it 18months ago.

Not including VAT the single cab 4x4 was 19k, converting it to a 4cube tipper with air suspension for 1400kg was another 6k.

We've had no issues with it at 20,000 miles or the old one with 80,000 and there's 5year warranty anyway. 

Be aware that if you buy them ready converted the warranty is sometimes 3 years because the 5 years only comes direct from Isuzu.

No problem. Strangely I have only heard good things about Isuzu. A haulier a 2 miles from here ran one up to 170K and only renewed a brake light bulb. Went straight out and bought another when the time came. 

I am totally undecided what to do. It was the tipper with air suspension and still a 1400 payload capacity that put the Isuzu at the top of the list. You must have the latest generation 6 with the smaller engine that I do not think has diesel in the oil issues.

Do you need to add 'Ad Blue' to your  old one or the new one?

29 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

You must have the latest generation 6 with the smaller engine that I do not think has diesel in the oil issues.

Looking through this page https://www.facebook.com/groups/322999041413588/ I cant quickly see problems with oil dilution but they still have regen probs on the newer models. Lots of short runs in the enemy of modern diesels. Blasting up and down the motorway they love hence high mile users generally very pleased with the Dmax. I was surprised GDH has not had problems as I seen very few short trip users who have not had problems,

Edited by Woodworks

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

No problem. Strangely I have only heard good things about Isuzu. A haulier a 2 miles from here ran one up to 170K and only renewed a brake light bulb. Went straight out and bought another when the time came. 

I am totally undecided what to do. It was the tipper with air suspension and still a 1400 payload capacity that put the Isuzu at the top of the list. You must have the latest generation 6 with the smaller engine that I do not think has diesel in the oil issues.

Do you need to add 'Ad Blue' to your  old one or the new one?

No ad blue on either thankfully, we get through enough of that with the tractors.

53 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Looking through this page https://www.facebook.com/groups/322999041413588/ I cant quickly see problems with oil dilution but they still have regen probs on the newer models. Lots of short runs in the enemy of modern diesels. Blasting up and down the motorway they love hence high mile users generally very pleased with the Dmax. I was surprised GDH has not had problems as I seen very few short trip users who have not had problems,

Yes, we're nearly all short drives with heavy loads, I hadn't heard anything bad about them until reading your posts then having a quick Google. 

In all honesty it would probably have put me off one a bit reading all that but having experienced them I would still go with another at the moment. 

I think it's easy to be swayed by one bad point (although a major one for some users by the sound of it) and forget that people very rarely post when things are going well so information is normally skewed in favour of negative reviews. 

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Not wishing to rub salt into the wound, but to have shelled out your hard earned cash on a new truck thinking that's my transport sorted for 10 years, only to see the ship sink must be hard to take. I don't think it would be worth the gamble even with the new generation Dmax. 

I am still uncertain what make of single cab 4x4 tipper to go for which can be uprated with air suspension like GDH's Dmax to legally carry 1400kg approx.

The dealer's seem to tell you exactly what you want to hear.

I am sure there are those on here who know categorically what the best vehicle to buy would be and that it will 100% carry the payload I require.

Edited by arboriculturist

SVtech are worth talking to about weight limits for up rating.
i bought a Hilux extra cab mk6, with air assist on the back i can get gVW of 3450. gtw 6800 max
most companies quote dry weight too so add 80kg of fuel and 100kg for driver and stuff then you have payload.
most good ( expensive all alloy) arb bodies with tipper are 350-400kg

1 hour ago, Dbikeguy said:

SVtech are worth talking to about weight limits for up rating.
i bought a Hilux extra cab mk6, with air assist on the back i can get gVW of 3450. gtw 6800 max
most companies quote dry weight too so add 80kg of fuel and 100kg for driver and stuff then you have payload.
most good ( expensive all alloy) arb bodies with tipper are 350-400kg

Sounds like they are the people to dealing with regarding uprating. Did you Hilux come with air assist fitted if not any idea on cost? So what payload can you legally carry on your uprated Hilux extra cab mk6 ? Is it a tipper? Thanks.

5 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Not wishing to rub salt into the wound, but to have shelled out your hard earned cash on a new truck thinking that's my transport sorted for 10 years, only to see the ship sink must be hard to take. I don't think it would be worth the gamble even with the new generation Dmax. 

The dealer's seem to tell you exactly what you want to hear.

Yes I was pretty pissed at the time but things have worked out well long term. I was very hung up the whole 3.5 tonne towing but in reality I never needed it and our Ifor is only 2.6 tonne so the Hilux's 2.7 towing is fine for all I do. Also nice not getting stressing about the odd mark from stray logs on an old truck. It's a tad narrower in the lanes which is a bonus not to mention a de-mist that actually works! With the money saved I upgraded the processor with the spare change. Even had customers think I had upgraded my truck as the quality paint job on the old Hilux made it look pretty good

GDH out of interest do you leave the truck running while loading between drops? It might explain your lack of issues as if it keeps running it can do it's forced regen without interruption. The interruption during regen I think was what caused most of my problems. 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1