2019 zig zag ?

NickinMids

21 minutes ago, Mark_Skyland said:

I will have a look and get the rrp for you.

Out of interest, who thinks on first looks that they would go for the new zigzag over the old one if they were only using it for ddrt?

Old one all day, new one looks too big and clumsy. 

• Like 2

All the parts on the new ZZ that I personally would worry about failing when used for srt (links, swivel etc) look the same on both models. Apart from the body being much more bulky, I fail to see how it’s stronger than the old model? Personally would much rather stick with the old version ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Out of interest, who thinks on first looks that they would go for the new zigzag over the old one if they were only using it for ddrt?

New one looks way too bulky, I'll stick with my old one for drt, and VT+rope wrench and micro pulley for the rare occasion I use SRT.

• Like 1

Love the Mk3. ZigZag my only concern with it has always been the black swivel, the small thin shaft that connects the captive ball inside the housing to the ring where the bridge karibiner goes. A failure on that part of the device would be catastrophic. I check mine (and the other ones I inspect) VERY carefully with a spot light and magnifying glass. Cracks in the top links aren’t necessarily going to dump you out of the tree but a failure on the swivel part certainly would.

The same component on the newer version looks beefier. Maybe the peace of mind would be worth the extra £££ and getting used to something a bit bulkier.

Thanks for the feedback, The new one is a fair bit bigger but unfortunately it wont work any better with 13mm ropes as the link system is the same size (ran the same when we tested it out) which is a pity as quite a few people are going back to 13mm ropes due to tendon/forearm issues.

RRP is going to be between £178 and £212 as there are two version, one with the swivel and one without.

Chincane around £134

1 hour ago, TIMON said:

Love the Mk3. ZigZag my only concern with it has always been the black swivel, the small thin shaft that connects the captive ball inside the housing to the ring where the bridge karibiner goes. A failure on that part of the device would be catastrophic. I check mine (and the other ones I inspect) VERY carefully with a spot light and magnifying glass. Cracks in the top links aren’t necessarily going to dump you out of the tree but a failure on the swivel part certainly would.

The same component on the newer version looks beefier. Maybe the peace of mind would be worth the extra £££ and getting used to something a bit bulkier.

Overall it does look a lot more beefier. Have you can across any issues with the MK3 yet? 

I meant to say in my previous post, release date is around the first week of March ATM.

• Like 1

Overall it does look a lot more beefier. Have you can across any issues with the MK3 yet? 

I meant to say in my previous post, release date is around the first week of March ATM.

I think Petzl nailed the links cracking issue with the Mk3 , I’ve inspected loads now without a single one showing up. (I can spot the cracked Mk2 ones a mile off now, I’ve seen that many)
The non-swivel version looks a safe bet as long as the karibiner doesn’t cross-load. (Like the original Mk1 which was hastily recalled) The need for a separate swivel still leaves you with the hassle of having to fit even more ‘faff’ onto an already bulky system.
A visit to the Petzl factory to see the destructive testing done on the swivel part would do much to get rid of that nagging concern, or a better understanding of the construction methods and actual materials used.
Does anyone know if Petzl do factory tours like DMM do?

They seem pretty bomb-proof now Carlos, and they have been field tested for years by the early users!

I'm pretty sure there have been no catastrophic failures.

The break tests are seriously impressive.

I put off getting one for years, but it is a nice bit of kit. Just like the perfect hitch, every time.

Don't like the look of the new one though, at all.

I would have preferred to see it even smaller, but in chunkier metal like the Bulldog Bone.