Hydraulic ram help

billpierce

Could be there is a fault in the manual pump or a check valve not checking somewhere, you could start pulling valves out and checking them but you may upset the electric pump or damage something, a difficult one.
Is there a valve/plug on the back of the block opposite the manual pump piston, that would be first suspect and shouldn't really affect the electric pump.
Doesnt appear to be a valve on back of manual pump block. The pump is very easy to pump like it's doing nothing.20190105_142053.jpeg20190105_142102.jpeg20190105_142113.jpeg20190105_142134.jpeg20190105_142144.jpeg

Is there plenty of oil in the reservoir, shouldn't make a difference to the manual pump but worth a look, after that if you want to fix the manual pump you will have to start going into it, with the chance that you may damage something and/or upset the electric one.

I would disconnect the hose and undo those two big allen screws first, then the manual pump should come off.

Be aware of any o rings and springs with ball bearings falling out.

Once you have the manual pump on the workbench you should be able to see whats what, pull all the little gallery plugs out and any check valves - watch out for springs.

You should be able to get o rings and seals from your local place.

• Like 1

Is there plenty of oil in the reservoir, shouldn't make a difference to the manual pump but worth a look, after that if you want to fix the manual pump you will have to start going into it, with the chance that you may damage something and/or upset the electric one.
I would disconnect the hose and undo those two big allen screws first, then the manual pump should come off.
Once you have the manual pump on the workbench you should be able to see whats what, pull all the little gallery plugs out and any check valves - watch out for springs.
Thanks! I have topped the reservoir up as it wasn't pushing the ram all the way up. Should it be full to the top of the red cap or someway down from that. No sign of a level nor dipstick

Bill it's a bit difficult to know how the circuit should work with the manual pump but if I were doing this I would have a shuttle valve taking flow from the electric pump or the manual one. If the electric pump is not running then oil from the manual pump would push the valve over and then on to the spool block, if the no lever on the spool block was activated oil would simply return to tank.

Normally the solenoid valve is activated by a switch which also starts the pump and allows oil to the ram. The brass plunger moves the spool and needs to be  forcing the spool to the up position before you pump oil manually.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, billpierce said:
19 hours ago, Kevm said:

Read more  

Thanks! I have topped the reservoir up as it wasn't pushing the ram all the way up. Should it be full to the top of the red cap or someway down from that. No sign of a level nor dipstick

Just playing arm chair mechanic `s here bill, the hydraulic tank is way lower than the hand pump and with the ramp up the level in the tank will be at its lowest. I would imagine the hand pump is just dry from lack of use and not able to draw from a low fluid level. If I were you I would drop the ramp, fill the tank to max , try the hand pump again. If its still not working get someone to puff a bit of air/lightly pressurise the hydraulic tank while you pump and there is a good chance once its wet it will be ok.

Bob

• Like 2

Just playing arm chair mechanic `s here bill, the hydraulic tank is way lower than the hand pump and with the ramp up the level in the tank will be at its lowest. I would imagine the hand pump is just dry from lack of use and not able to draw from a low fluid level. If I were you I would drop the ramp, fill the tank to max , try the hand pump again. If its still not working get someone to puff a bit of air/lightly pressurise the hydraulic tank while you pump and there is a good chance once its wet it will be ok.

Bob
I like the sound of trying that way. Will let you know how I get on

Well thanks everyone for help. Put ram fully out. Brimmed with oil, let it down a bit on the valve, manual pump did nothing. Undid one of the bleed valves on side air came out then oil. Did not back up manual pump works a treat now. Just off to mop up all the oil that pissed out the fill cap when ram came all the way back.

Once again arbtalk saves the day. Many thanks

• Like 1