Bracing

hamdogg

Evening All,

I have a bracing job coming up, where just one tree needs bracing,

I’ve never and neither has my climber installed this before, is there a link to a basic instructions anyone knows of and a spec to correct tonnage?

Also BOA or COBRA? Or is there sod all difference?

Cheers [emoji1303]

Should be basic instructions come with the kit you buy.  It’s pretty straight forward to fit.  Chooose appropriate forks and getting the angles right is really the most crucial think imo, although this is down to common sense.  Have seen some ridiculous angles set in the past.

Id go overkill on the tonnage 

Has the bracing been recommended following a survey? If so the report should have been written to give you a detailed spec, what the brace is to achieve, position of brace, material type, material mbs etc, but you often see 'brace the tree' which isn't much help.

If you haven't been given a useful spec it may be worth getting some experienced help in, as it's really easy to get the hang of the splicing part of it, then  hang something in a tree that isn't very useful, and there are lots of factors to consider, suspension or support system? preload or not? bracing pattern? and thinking about the pros and cons of different systems and attachments.

Assuming you are thinking of using synthetic cabling (don't rule out rods or steel cable being better for the right spec), but suggest you leave boa and cobra alone as there are much easier (and better value) to use products available now, speak to Rob at Treeworker for materials.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Andrew McEwan said:

Has the bracing been recommended following a survey? If so the report should have been written to give you a detailed spec, what the brace is to achieve, position of brace, material type, material mbs etc, but you often see 'brace the tree' which isn't much help.

If you haven't been given a useful spec it may be worth getting some experienced help in, as it's really easy to get the hang of the splicing part of it, then  hang something in a tree that isn't very useful, and there are lots of factors to consider, suspension or support system? preload or not? bracing pattern? and thinking about the pros and cons of different systems and attachments.

Assuming you are thinking of using synthetic cabling (don't rule out rods or steel cable being better for the right spec), but suggest you leave boa and cobra alone as there are much easier (and better value) to use products available now, speak to Rob at Treeworker for materials.

Hi Andrew,  Not meaning to hijack this thread but I'm in a similar predictmant although I am just finishing off a tree survey and want to prescribe (as part  my final report) a bracing system on a co-dom compression fork on a mature austrian pine. You seem to know more than most about the bracing world. I have BS3998 which has basic recommendations on bracing and we covered some basics in my National diploma in arb but I want to give the best system and as much specification as possible to my client. I can't find much out there elsewhere eg. web/books etc...do you know any solid sources of information on bracing that I can refer to to build up my knowledge? 

Thanks in advance

Patrick

Hi Patrick

The ISA guide to tree support systems is a good reference, but mainly about steel cabling. Without opening a large can of worms, briefly I think parts of BS3998 are due updating, particularly pruning with bracing and tensioning, but I don't know of any new material out there, it'd be a good topic for the AA to cover in a new guide, and also then apply some pressure to the get  the 'shoulds'  removed from 3998.

If Kevin Moore is running any bracing courses he is well worth listening to on the subject, but you will find equally valid and very different approaches and thoughts on materials from Rob Knott (Nod at treeworker) and others.

Probably like a lot of arb it is down to experience and educated guess work, and well due some long term studies on the synthetic systems, but even with them (when someone does them!) as a foundation there are so many variables  to think about.

• Like 1