Advice on machinery for moving timber

timberdelf

This morning I spent an hour and a half on the phone to hmrc and dvla.
Lovely people [emoji3]
I also have the same problem of moving wood.
On a standard car license, I am allowed to drive any size tractor with any size of trailer with unlimited load,
No mot, no tax, can run on red diesel and no limited mileage from base.
Only limitation they mentioned was 2.45m max width.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

You booked your trailer test then [emoji23]

10 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

This morning I spent an hour and a half on the phone to hmrc and dvla.
Lovely people emoji3.png
I also have the same problem of moving wood.
On a standard car license, I am allowed to drive any size tractor with any size of trailer with unlimited load,
No mot, no tax, can run on red diesel and no limited mileage from base.
Only limitation they mentioned was 2.45m max width.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

I'm not sure you should pay too much attention to them...

Double check this as it's from memory:

Max weight is approximately 28ton and the trailer can't be more than 18. Top, legal, speed is 25mph

Maximum from base is 60miles. 

You don't need an mot but anything dangerous or overloaded and you'll still get pulled ;)

There's restrictions on using it for haulage to - you can't haul for other people etc.

As said that's all from memory but there's a lot of regulations.

I'm not sure you should pay too much attention to them...

Double check this as it's from memory:
Max weight is approximately 28ton and the trailer can't be more than 18. Top, legal, speed is 25mph
Maximum from base is 60miles. 

You don't need an mot but anything dangerous or overloaded and you'll still get pulled [emoji6]

There's restrictions on using it for haulage to - you can't haul for other people etc.

As said that's all from memory but there's a lot of regulations.

That's what I'd heard vaguely.
I thought I'd get it from the horses mouth.
Vosa and the dvla are combined now and dealt with the red diesel and mot, vehicle and license and trailer questions.
Hmrc for ag,hort,forestry registration and Tax.
I told them sometimes my work is 280 miles away. They said no limits.
I will be writing to hmrc to confirm this in a letter as they suggested this to cover myself.
It would be strictly for arb work.
[emoji106]

But, hmmm?

Agriculture includes forestry, but can arb work really be considered forestry, so is a tractor really legal in respect of arb work, for domestic customers, and if it is not illegal in other respects should it perhaps be running on clear diesel?

P.S.

I followed a 175HP Case today, doing 40+ mph, I followed it for some considerable distance too, and def consistently just over 40mph

But, hmmm?
Agriculture includes forestry, but can arb work really be considered forestry, so is a tractor really legal in respect of arb work, for domestic customers, and if it is not illegal in other respects should it perhaps be running on clear diesel?
P.S.
I followed a 175HP Case today, doing 40+ mph, I followed it for some considerable distance too, and def consistently just over 40mph

Ag,horticulture or forestry.
IMG_3315.jpg

Must admt i'm with difflock here, don't think it is just as clear as they seem to have made out, unless things have changed recently.

I know a agri contractor got pulled by the polis a few years ago, he thought it was likely so had already got written advice fron the head traffic cops for scotland.

Basiclly he was hauling muck/dung in dump trailers between 2 farms quite a few miles away, because he had the contract to spread the muck at a later date he was allowed to run red, if the farmer was spreading it it was classed as haulage so white.

he ended up getting a written apology from the local polis over the way they treated him and the traffic officers attitude to him and his workers

There has been lengthy threads about this in the past for arb and red desiel, if its to haul and sell firewood from domestic arb i doubt it will be as clear as made out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All this tractor/ag/arb/forestry and DVLA malarky is quite simple, they dont give a toss what you are using it for the second it leaves the road. All they are concerned about is the road use , the question is whether the tractor trailer combo is being used for a genuine forestry/ag/horticultural purpose or is it just a cheap way of clearing green waste from a building site/domestic dwelling and hauling plant. All the rules and regs were recently updated, well worth having a squint because they have moved the goal posts.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

For on site moving or loading timber about I dont think you can beat a telehandler, keep away from exfarm machines because most of them have had the transmission ripped out of them pushing into stacks. Ex site machines are normally only used as a forklift, the set up below can scoop brash,pick up whole trees,load timber trailers and still be used as a forklift. They tick a lot of boxes and our guys insist on taking one on clearance work.

Bob

fodentipper006_zps5a6ed2b9.jpg

fodentipper007_zps593f744c.jpg

• Like 3