Advice on machinery for moving timber

timberdelf

Ok forgive any lack of terminology or general lack of knowledge 

I am very slowly improving what little processing ability I have for firewood etc I need to start to be able to move snalll and larger lengths of timber round my paddocks to both improve production rates and do a better job of housekeeping the timber as at present any timber is moved by hand yes ! By hand lol and I’m not getting any younger ! 52 ! Lol

i am In unfortunately position of low budgets to hand and also my lack of knowledge on what machinery suits this task so please try to understand the later two points count ! 

I was thinking along along the lines of possibly an old telehalndler with some type of grab to move timber ? But it will be an old bit of machinery as at the moment that’s the way it is money wise 

or is thier a simpler cheap way to achieve this ? 

There's quite a few ways, do you have a tractor or quad bike? Both of those could tow a small timber trailer with crane and grab.

If you're buying a machine you have a variety of choices with pros and cons. 

Tractor and front end loader - loads about, can do other jobs. 

Telehandler, skidsteer etc with pallet forks or grab - better for moving stuff but limited for other tasks. 

Digger (360) - very maneuverable, good for stacking, slow to move. 

Quad and trailer - probably cheapest if you get a trailer with a hand winch but you won't move much, if you get a trailer with a crane it could be an option though. 

That’s brill advice 

I’m leaning to a cheap telehandler as I can then double up I I get a bucket for it to use on my small holding to scape up crap and waste too I will only be able to afford £4 to 5 k max so it will be a old machine etc 

what i prob need to understand is what grab / forks I need to grab and move wood ?

i think I’ve seen somone use a fork / grab that was intended for silage ? 

Shouldn't go wrong with a telehandler - just got to choose whether you want a traditional side boom type, front arm or skidsteer depending on terrain and where you want to go.

You can use a muck grab for most stuff and they're good for brash or you can get a grab for pallet forks which is better for big stuff like this (be aware the pallet forks often aren't included).

http://www.riko-uk.com/product/timber-loader-grabs/pallet-fork-grab

49 minutes ago, gdh said:

Shouldn't go wrong with a telehandler - just got to choose whether you want a traditional side boom type, front arm or skidsteer depending on terrain and where you want to go.

You can use a muck grab for most stuff and they're good for brash or you can get a grab for pallet forks which is better for big stuff like this (be aware the pallet forks often aren't included).

http://www.riko-uk.com/product/timber-loader-grabs/pallet-fork-grab

Yeah it is worth bearing in mind an old telehandler is a big heavy machine.  I have an old Sanderson 2 wheel drive telehandler and it does the job well, but it is 6 tons unladen.  That is a lot of moving parts to maintain, and the four wheel drive ones have even more moving parts.

• Thanks 1

Get your self a piece of paper and write down what you can do with a telehandler and then a tractor with loader. You will not have the lift capacity with tractor but from what you say only got small lumps to move. 

Cheap telehandler will be a heap of sh..