Fruit trees and orchards

Mark2

Open space man that’s a big question there I could go on and on! I’l do some points and no doubt add more later !

brown rot— can be delt with by—garden hygiene! Take up fallen fruit/ leafs this breaks the annual cycle of the decease dispose of by burning or bin men not on compo heap. 

Codlin moth can be delt with by grease bands, winter tar oil wash (will discoulour any greenery under tree) or bio traps hung in tree. 

Thining out the tree helps prevent an unhealthy micro climate for a healthy tree.

5 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

You've started an interesting thread (or two if we include food from the wild) and I will be looking at it.

I posed a question about my ancient apple tree a while back and got no response; it suffers from bloom wilt and associated brown rot plus an infestation of codling moth. I pruned out what affected branches I could see plus removed all the blossom in an attempt to break the codling moth cycle.

Did you prune out any visible canker? I stand to be corrected but the wilt fungus can reside in the canker over winter?.. the codling moth may easily travel to your tree, so whilst it sounds like youve done all you can to give the tree the best chance you may not have fully removed that threat. Also, everything has it's life cycle, if it is an ancient tree, it may be in decline and as such be more susceptible to disease and decay.. 

Possibly three threads, bees, wild food and fruit/ nut trees. You seem to have a broad understanding of many subjects.. any advice for a novice beekeeper?!

Thanks Conor regarding codlin moth one or other of the sex’s is flight less, drops to ground level in the fruit as maggots, boy or girl one has to climb the trunk (hey jus like us tree men) to meet an make a family ! gets stuck on grease band! Job done. Keep the band there all year round and grease topped up and fresh.

21 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I do like the idea of grape vines

In the village I grew up near there was an old house with a grape vine growing in the front porch.. happened to pass it back in August. Masses of grapes ripening on it! I think what Mark means by 45 degrees is to plant and train the pear or chosen plant  against the wall but at an angle.. so as opposed to growing vertically, you essentially force them to grow closer to horizontal.. like this ////// or this\\\\ not like this |||| it can look attractive, not my style.. more of a wild/natural habitat person, but for your surroundings it could look impressive, especially with that wall. Nice contrast between the hard lines of the brick and using the angles of the espailer to pick up on the angles of the surrounding roofs. Add a couple of raised beds and that's your summer evenings sorted! (The produce of the vines will sort your winter evenings in time too!)

Sadly Codling moth isn't prevented by grease bands according to the RHS.

With regard to bees for pollinating apples, if you're thinking of honey bees they often go elsewhere as other plants provide better forage at that time of year. We tend to see bumble bees on our apples a fair bit while our honey bees go off elsewhere.

Good idea about a fruity subsection.

• Like 1

Paul in the woods, thank’s for the input, am shocked but not surprised if that is true !

those boffins ! first eggs are good then they say bad, same with eating potatoes. Cooking oil ! Wine !!

I remember we all had to paint all our tree cuts with bitumen paint ! or we were classed as cowboys ! you’d walk under the tree and it would drip of the cuts into your hair!  Then Arthur Sligo did research and said no it’s detramental to the healing of the cut !

I’ll look Into that one and mend my ways. But thanks. So  what about the flight less  one of  the two sex’s was that wrong all a long, ?

but must say I will be enjoying some good healthy debates here! If you get three tree men ! you get four different answers ! I love that.

Regarding pollination of orchards by honey bees! I had heard that too ! But ok i’ll stick my neck out here and call it tosh. When you consider bee keeping is a massive industry in parts of the world ! In the USA they fill an entire goods train up with commercial hives ,following the season of blossom, So I’m calling this one there wrong! I could go on and on. Bare in mind we live in a world of bogus research funded by self interested climate change denyers ! Funded by chem and oil company’s !

• Like 1