Fruit trees and orchards

Mark2

1 hour ago, Mark2 said:

Thanks Steve ! I’v jumped in at the deep end here !  but it’s very worthwhile, good luck with the move. take it steady moving’s a stressful time, eny fruit trees there?  If not pop some in !

Actually I posted about this a while ago.  It’s a new build and the garden is walled albeit not very large.  I was thinking about an espalier planting along the wall with a selection of fruit trees

52899A1B-1339-4D65-ADF5-772456CB8554.jpeg

58687148-388E-4AF7-95E6-5E4FD363EB6F.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

Tree fancier! Thanks for that link, it just shows what can be done, now’s a good moment to put my cards on the table having done the big trees in my life, and slowing down now ! This fruit thing is keeping me going. I do fruit tree pruning workshops plus ocasonaly ditto grafting! Plus private trees / orchards and a couple of big big cider orchards. Absolutely love it!

be good to read some of your exploits working in the big trees too , and like others have said any photos of exciting stuff. Although I understand proper tree men aren't preoccupied with photos and videos - they do the  exciting stuff because they enjoy it, not to show off

• Like 1

Wow Steve ! That looks like a clean sheet for planting up. Yep you could put espeliar fruit against those walls, you could get more varieties in by planting cordons along 45% angle including pear’s. Check your sun light direction ! If you’v got a shady wall—- 

morello cherry would do well.

Growing fruit up and slightly above those walls, will soften the hard ‘look’ and lines of the walls! Then bird box’s that’l sort out your fruit tree pests ect. Paradise and still room to kick a football about ! Reminds me about 30 years ago my team did all the trees in a big manor house garden I was off estimateing. Day later I rang the people up to check they were happy! Yes they were but the team had left a rugby ball on the roof ! Would we like to collect it. No comment !

2 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

you could get more varieties in by planting cordons along 45% angle including pear’s.

Could you explain what this means exactly please?

Garden is south facing so in theory that back wall should be a shady spot.  I do love Cherries so that could be an option.  Do they work well as espalier?

5 hours ago, Mark2 said:

Would enyone be interested in a sub forum on - fruit trees and orchards ? Or is there one here I haven’t spotted. I’d love feedback on this, as it would have some very good Benefits.

You've started an interesting thread (or two if we include food from the wild) and I will be looking at it.

I posed a question about my ancient apple tree a while back and got no response; it suffers from bloom wilt and associated brown rot plus an infestation of codling moth. I pruned out what affected branches I could see plus removed all the blossom in an attempt to break the codling moth cycle.

Thanks for those kind word tree-fancier ! Phew I got a truck load of story’s ! I ‘m hopeing to be around a good while in the future or until people get fed up with me !

Photos are a sore point recently I lost my last 2 year’s worth swopping my iPhone over. I don’t poses a computer, but yes i’ll russel up some pics from the good ole days give me a month or 2! watch this space. But wow ther is some better pics/vids here .

20 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

That variety of cherry will do well any where but is a great way to solve the darkest part of the gdn, cherry’s look best fan trained (stunning) plus consider peach,nectarine grapes, figs. All those benefit from reflected heat off the wall.

A friend of mine has a really old walled garden that has walls over 15 foot high. There's ancient fruit frees around the inside and out. In the walls there's fires and chimneys. I was told this is to keep the trees warm in the winter. 

• Like 1