Fruit trees and orchards

Mark2

4 hours ago, Mark2 said:

Hi guys, my turn to ask for advice! How come one of my comments keeps reaccuring ? 

Is it some thinking i’m doing wrong ? Help !

Dam computers never did like um ! But happy new year all !

Ive found the site super slow these last few days. Some private messages have come through twice etc. 

• Like 1

not noticed anything slow with the system. 

I have to look after two but have yet to do anything in them. Plan to go on a day fruit tree pruning course next month. The main issue however is that the orchard is not used and every year hundreds (maybe thousands) of apples grow but as these were planted many years ago, like 50 or more I believe. There is no longer, use for them on the site. Look nice but not used. Some of the apples to get picked by the occupiers but a lot of them don't get used. 

Of course there are many ideas of how we could use the apples, but that means more work....

Thanks AJStrees

Do you have cider makers in your area? That is a booming industry these days! Give them a ring ! That crop is worth money. If it earns, you’ll fell more inclined to do just a bit of maintence ! Hope the pruning course is a good one.

my simple advice re- pruning an orchard don’t spend all day on one or two. Your enthusiasm will wain !

prioritise. 2 hours max per tree then move on !

aim to get round the orchard that way ! Trust me ! That way you improve your orchard overall ! 

Thats a realistic long term maintence program !

look into grants & good luck ??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

Thanks AJStrees

Do you have cider makers in your area? That is a booming industry these days! Give them a ring ! That crop is worth money. If it earns, you’ll fell more inclined to do just a bit of maintence ! Hope the pruning course is a good one.

my simple advice re- pruning an orchard don’t spend all day on one or two. Your enthusiasm will wain !

prioritise. 2 hours max per tree then move on !

aim to get round the orchard that way ! Trust me ! That way you improve your orchard overall ! 

Thats a realistic long term maintence program !

look into grants & good luck ??

Sound advice. Will check out the cider makers. Hope the course is good. Sounds like they are people that know what they are doing. 

Be nice to make something of it. 

On 30/12/2018 at 23:56, openspaceman said:

Yes two apples and a pear next door and several apples (including at least one Bramley and  I don't know if they can pollenate) within 300 yds.

It’s all  pollenating partners/flowering group 1234 or some books may say A B C D. It’s also down to the bees being on one tree and then going to the partner tree with the pollen and you know the rest.

heres a pic I took at a local garden centre a few yr ago. It may help you decide which trees need to be close by or on route of the bees.

489C9260-EF34-4F1D-A900-52A36D345464.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 31/12/2018 at 18:57, Mark2 said:

Trigger ok back to growing nut’s 

if they can put a home grown melon on the table at Xmas we can grow nuts in Scotland — if it’s windy plant a wind break. 

Get first class stock (we get what we pay for)

get them local grown ! V important that ! Imported plants will not of evolved for your climate, good stuff in ya planting hole, so they come up fast and strong, no waterlogging. Make real real sure they don’t dry out esp first year. Grow single stemmed for squirrel protection, rabbit and deer proof. Hope that helps ! Send pics as ya go.

I was under the impression that you shouldn't put too much (or any) good stuff in the planting hole of a new tree, as the roots will stay in the lovely rich environment in the hole and not spread out of the hole into the surrounding soil and anchor your tree properly? Mulch after the first year or two, sure, but not when planting...

Good point! I tend to break-up soil (with an iron bar) surrounding the hole. You are right but I think it’s more an issue of ‘compaction’ lossend up, the good stuff will with rain ,then mix in . 

Also helps to prevent water -logging like a sump !

big thanks for the/any input.

to add taking the tree out of the pot it’s important to sever roots going round and round the pot (I do that in 3 places ) or tease them out. I’v seem semi mature trees strangled by there own roots!

Edited by Mark2
  • Like 1

One of my personal favourite fruit are figs ! They should have been recommend way back in this thread for Steve Bullmans garden ! Lapse of me ( dementia?)

they don’t need to take up much room , grow them fan trained on  a sunny wall to catch radiated heat! As they come from the med !

15 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

One of my personal favourite fruit are figs ! They should have been recommend way back in this thread for Steve Bullmans garden ! Lapse of me ( dementia?)

they don’t need to take up much room , grow them fan trained on  a sunny wall to catch radiated heat! As they come from the med !

Yep I do love a fig too!

• Like 1