Fruit trees and orchards

Mark2

Most common thing I see is over pruned trees , causing a mass of watershoots, or on  the other extreme zero prunning/neglected.

Anyone got experiece renovating over pruned trees?

I think they are harder to do than neglected ones.

Stere, it sounds like you do trees for a living, first I’d say ‘where there’s a problem there’s an opotunity!)  I expect like me and all tree men, when we’re on the road, we’re looking at trees needing work or judging work done! This subject could lead to a huge amount of work for pro tree men! Brilliant opotunity to train new staff in basics, with out danger! Brilliant for winter work (quiet spells) bad weather work ect. I’m up for passing on what I know and getting ‘ a thing started here’

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark2 said:

Would enyone be interested in a sub forum on - fruit trees and orchards ? Or is there one here I haven’t spotted. I’d love feedback on this, as it would have some very good Benefits.

Sounds like a good idea, could it cover nut production also, this is an area I wouldn't mind exploring.. we planted a small orchard last year.. rabbits and hares stripped a lot of bark over the harsh winter, followed by a dry summer this has stressed the trees so we may end up re planting..

15 minutes ago, Stere said:

Most common thing I see is over pruned trees , causing a mass of watershoots, or on  the other extreme zero prunning/neglected.

Anyone got experiece renovating over pruned trees?

I think they are harder to do than neglected ones.

This is whats happened to my Apple tree after my attempt at pruning. :D So a sub-forum on here would be great.

The Apple Tree was interfering with the Telephone cable so it had to come back a fair bit after countless years of neglect. Two years later all I have are these watershoots as you call them. Now I know what their called I can now investigate how/if I can remedy it and start getting some apples again.

2 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

Conor, thanks for that one ! Had’nt thought of that but hell why not, i’m game. My first thought is— why can’t us brits grow nut’s ! Oops now the jokes i’l start !

We cant? I fancied planting a few Nut Trees when I clear the small patch of woodland out that back of my house. Fruit Trees as well obviously.

That’s a classic problem trigger. Couple of points to say, Apple’s are grafted on slow,medium or fast growing root stock sounds like yours is fast! Second point when you prune it, it takes 2 years to reform new fruit buds and give a crop ! People get into a situation of never getting a crop being unaware of that fact.watch this space for more info thanks.

• Like 2