House heating that isn't wood fueled?

Big J

How efficient is air source as opposed to ground sourced? I’m assuming ground sourced will be a better option with a greater return.... but obviously it’ll be more expensive to install in the beginning? as thats generally the rule with things in life,
better return = more upfront, as opposed to little return = less upfront? ?‍♂️

In Sweden & other nordic countries apparently heat pumps are really common now even though they have loads more wood than UK, and colder temps mean a heat pump is less efficient than in the UK.

Ground source Stere or air source? Or both?

I was going to use our own woodland to supply all our heating and hot water. But after a couple of years sorting out the firewood and running the stove I will go over to electric with smaller stoves.

We could use oil or LPG but our last house seemed to cope well with electric storage heaters and then you don't need a large tank, the risk of theft of your oil, the large boiler, rads, annual serving costs and then costly repairs.

Not everyone's cup of tea but our running costs were not bad. If only there was as much investment in mircro-hyro generation as there is solar, I think we could generate a fair bit of power from our own stream in winter.

• Like 2

Have asked myself that question a good few times when i’ve been out and about with the dog or in car in some remote places. Hydro would produce steady uninterrupted power all year round. My assumption is that the doo gooders dont want watercourses harmed or damaged etc from their installs and running. Could be wrong in my assumptions of course [emoji6]
They used to divert water courses to run mill wheels? Why not do the same in smaller versions ?‍♂️

• Like 2

I think that as well as potential impact on the watercourse, there are at least three additional challenges of micro-hydro:

1) moving parts = maintenance (compared to solar)

2) sites all likely to be non-standard = bespoke design for each site

3) civil engineering / build costs

I do think as a country if we are going to reduce our reliance on large fossil generation we need to have a more diverse set of generation than just solar and wind though.

• Like 4

On our stream there would be no real negative impact as the wash off from the farms has seen off a fair bit of wildlife. If anything a small dam and a little dredging might save some of the soil from ending up in the sea. I also gather there was a mill on our land in the distant past so there's a fair bit of power that could be harnessed in our stream.

Build costs I wouldn't think would be much for us, just a few oak beams to expand one of the natural pools. Less than a solar install.

I would also expect it would be fairly easy to maintain a small hydro-generator compared to a gas or oil boiler, or even roof mounted panels?

• Like 3

Waterwheels lasted decades! Surely with our modern thinking caps on we could devise something very similar but on a smaller scale with a good efficiency and low maintenance cost?!
You go for your set up Paul, sounds trick [emoji106]
Hydro would be my preferred source of power but alas, the dyke of a stream we have runs dry in the summer.. Also it would be about capable of powering a 60 watt bulb! Maybe in time, if and it's a big if, we got more land.. there is a stream a few fields down from us.. we could give it a go.. and a ram pump for the tunnel!