when is the burning season middle?

neiln

Grabbing wood from the shed today and it seemed I've not used much...its been mild.  It made me think, when is the middle of the burn season, for estimating consumption?  I always think it is more likely to be cold in late winter than early winter and factoring that in slightly I reckon mid to late Jan is perhaps the half way point...about 3.5 weeks on from now maybe, what do you think?

If we were still in Scotland, I'd say not quite half way yet. Hoping that we get out of winter a little earlier in Devon as my log store is more depleted then I would like (we've burned about 13 cube so far, at a guess). I have loads more wood, but it's not dry yet and would be better for next winter.

Mid point of winter in any given location depends on seasonal lag. That is to say when the hottest point of summer and the coldest point of winter is in relation to midsummer and midwinter. I believe that the further north you are, the less seasonal lag there is, but there any many other factors that influence that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Big J said:

If we were still in Scotland, I'd say not quite half way yet. Hoping that we get out of winter a little earlier in Devon as my log store is more depleted then I would like (we've burned about 13 cube so far, at a guess). I have loads more wood, but it's not dry yet and would be better for next winter.

Mid point of winter in any given location depends on seasonal lag. That is to say when the hottest point of summer and the coldest point of winter is in relation to midsummer and midwinter. I believe that the further north you are, the less seasonal lag there is, but there any many other factors that influence that.

The string again :001_smile:

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

The string again :001_smile:

Very true!

The difference for us is that our woodstore would usually last until the end of January in Scotland before needing to be refilled. It will be the end of February down here (same woodstore). That's 22 cubic metres. 

March is a funny month. We've had the most brutal winter weather in March and other years 20 centigrade plus.

So yes, how long is a piece of string! ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Big J said:

Very true!

The difference for us is that our woodstore would usually last until the end of January in Scotland before needing to be refilled. It will be the end of February down here (same woodstore). That's 22 cubic metres. 

March is a funny month. We've had the most brutal winter weather in March and other years 20 centigrade plus.

So yes, how long is a piece of string! ?

Its all if Jonathan ... If your Auntie had bollox she would be your Uncle

• Haha 1