when is the burning season middle?

neiln

In the UK our potentially coldest weather is around 4 weeks after the shortest day so I guess this would make late Jan the middle of the season. The reason is as an Island nation the weather systems reaching us are coming over the sea and sea is slow to cool so acts as a buffer. This is with all things being average but this is rarely the case so in reality how long is a piece of string is more accurate.

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 3

Haha! Yes of course no two winters are alike.  Although autumn and early winter have been very mild my gut feel is that we will get much colder yet. Although I doubt I could run out of dry wood....I may have over produced for myself as well as used little so far! 

It's also down to personal preference. I tend to find, as the nights draw in, I like the wood burner on. When the days are getting longer and Spring is, hopefully, just around the corner I can cope with the colder temperatures better and the burner may not be lit. I also like it lit if it's wet and damp rather than just cold.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

It's also down to personal preference. I tend to find, as the nights draw in, I like the wood burner on. When the days are getting longer and Spring is, hopefully, just around the corner I can cope with the colder temperatures better and the burner may not be lit. I also like it lit if it's wet and damp rather than just cold.

My instinct told me to light it last night , the temperature told me not to . I was more comfortable without it to be honest .  

I generally find I burn a surprising amount of logs jan and Feb and I'm nearing the middle of my stash, so anticipating running low. Made 2 new stores last year so hard to tell as yet if they are big enough. I suspect we aren't quite half way through the burning season yet

3 hours ago, billpierce said:

I generally find I burn a surprising amount of logs jan and Feb and I'm nearing the middle of my stash, so anticipating running low. Made 2 new stores last year so hard to tell as yet if they are big enough. I suspect we aren't quite half way through the burning season yet

What I always found nasty during winter on the east coast of Scotland was the inevitable strong easterlies in February, March and early April. Those weeks on end of strong wind, driving rain and 2-3c. Nothing strips the heat from a house quite like that. 

I imagine it's pretty similar in Northumberland

• Like 2