Root compaction versus path lifting, what best to do?

AJStrees

2 hours ago, Stere said:

Seen similar on a local tarmac cycle path in 100's of places like that. Its being the same for decades  with no repair work done,  doesn't get alot worse (only gradually)  of seem to harm the trees much as is probably small % of the total root area.

Trouble with bridges/raised decking etc is that they require  more ongoing  maintenance.

Local Fens have miles of of wooden decking boardwalks, they don't & last cost loads to maintain as boards rot fast and not very eco friendly imo...

I know what you mean, yes it is also quite a maintenance issue. its all down to time and money I reckon and weather we want to spend money on it or deal with other more urgent issues with trees on the site. 

Will have to put it on the 10 year plan I think.

2 hours ago, Stere said:

Seen similar on a local tarmac cycle path in 100's of places like that. Its being the same for decades  with no repair work done,  doesn't get alot worse (only gradually)  of seem to harm the trees much as is probably small % of the total root area.

Trouble with bridges/raised decking etc is that they require  more ongoing  maintenance.

Local Fens have miles of of wooden decking boardwalks, they don't & last cost loads to maintain as boards rot fast and not very eco friendly imo...

Some valid points here.. cutting down multiple trees to manufacture an item to protect one.. I didn't consider that in my first statement. I guess it depends on the value of that tree, has it a historical/aesthetic significance etc.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Trees the only nice pine in the area so would like to keep it and so would the owners of the site. 

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions guys and almost Happy New Year. Sorry to have to bring that into it. 

Happy to help, if I was of any help! Keep an eye out for some macrocarpa coming down in your area.. durable timber.. could make a longer lasting bridge than spruce.. just a thought. Happy almost new year to you too.

13 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

Happy to help, if I was of any help! Keep an eye out for some macrocarpa coming down in your area.. durable timber.. could make a longer lasting bridge than spruce.. just a thought. Happy almost new year to you too.

good idea on the macrocarpa. And yes almost 2019. Gosh

The roots will naturally seek to the pathway. The roots want air and water. It's easier for them to get it at the lower end of the slope where the pathway is. Have you tried to aerate the soil around the tree? I would also have considered raising the walkway. Graded masses on top of the ground. 20-40 cm thick with 3 layers. First layer of rocks sized 4-120mm (optionally filling the air pockets with soil, before adding the second layer), second layer sized 0-30mm and the third 0-16/20mm.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ferguson system said:

The roots will naturally seek to the pathway. The roots want air and water. It's easier for them to get it at the lower end of the slope where the pathway is. Have you tried to aerate the soil around the tree? I would also have considered raising the walkway. Graded masses on top of the ground. 20-40 cm thick with 3 layers. First layer of rocks sized 4-120mm (optionally filling the air pockets with soil, before adding the second layer), second layer sized 0-30mm and the third 0-16/20mm.

Yes I like that approach and the raised walkway is something we have been discussing. Aeration was going to be another idea by clearing around the tree and then improving the soil on the slop and feeding the tree. Have to decide on the path raising, but that was definitely the most favoured approach. Just a time and money thing.  

• Like 1