Root compaction versus path lifting, what best to do?

AJStrees

A bit of a conundrum with this pine tree. The tree is looking great and looks in pretty good health. One of just a few remaining at the top of the site where I work and this one is still growing well. Its also evergreen and keeps things looking interesting in its locale. 

However as you can see in the photos the roots of this tree go under a fairly heavily used path. The path used to be tarmac and the roots ripped up the tarmac. In 2015 the path was dug up and then resin bound gravel was put down instead. The roots are starting to come through the path now and this will be an ongoing saga I can only imagine. 

I think I need to either move the path, which would be a bit odd looking or potentially put some sort of bridge over the path area, take up the path and leave it as soil underneath the ramp/bridge. But again that also may look odd. 

Anyone got any ideas of what is the best way to solve it. I am surprised the tree itself is still doing so well. 

Apologies, the photos are not the best.  

IMG_3219.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

Tricky enough.. large sweeping curve on the path, add soil where path was and plant some bulbs/flowering perennials where the path used to be to take away the odd look? Looks like there is a tree to the right also so don't know how far you can go with the path.. doesn't look like the tree is suffering in fairness.. probably more danger of someone stubbing a toe than having a branch land on them!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Tricky enough.. large sweeping curve on the path, add soil where path was and plant some bulbs/flowering perennials where the path used to be to take away the odd look? Looks like there is a tree to the right also so don't know how far you can go with the path.. doesn't look like the tree is suffering in fairness.. probably more danger of someone stubbing a toe than having a branch land on them!

Yeah anything here sounds likes its going to cost a bit to do. 

Tree does seem fine and probably not massive amounts of compaction happening but for the sake of this tree, it may be worth it.  Others trees along the path too which have yet to create much damage with the roots. I need to think a bit more about this project.

Tree does seem fine and probably not massive amounts of compaction happening but for the sake of this tree, it may be worth it.  Others trees along the path too which have yet to create much damage with the roots. I need to think a bit more about this project.

Looking into the long term then, with other trees to consider, would a raised walkway, essentially on stilts, be a solution? A single row of stout oak piles supporting a long "rope bridge" effect walkway? I guess it's cost versus effect.. would cost less to drop the tree! are there other noteworthy trees along the path?
  • Like 1

On 28/12/2018 at 22:44, Conor Wright said:
On 28/12/2018 at 20:16, AJStrees said:

Read more  

Looking into the long term then, with other trees to consider, would a raised walkway, essentially on stilts, be a solution? A single row of stout oak piles supporting a long "rope bridge" effect walkway? I guess it's cost versus effect.. would cost less to drop the tree! are there other noteworthy trees along the path?

There is nothing too special along the walkway tree wise. I like the idea of the walkway on stilts and that might work quite well. We had to do similar over the top of a badger sett where the pathway had collapsed in on the sett, so we built a bridge and platform over the top to a) help the badgers and b) keep away from a dangerous old path. Since the bridge there hasn't been any problems. 

So the same sort of thing might be a good idea as you say. Will speak with the guvnor about it.  

Seen similar on a local tarmac cycle path in 100's of places like that. Its being the same for decades  with no repair work done,  doesn't get alot worse (only gradually)  of seem to harm the trees much as is probably small % of the total root area.

Trouble with bridges/raised decking etc is that they require  more ongoing  maintenance.

Local Fens have miles of of wooden decking boardwalks, they don't & last cost loads to maintain as boards rot fast and not very eco friendly imo...