Farm wood chipper

Keep_flying

1 hour ago, Conor Wright said:
2 hours ago, s o c said:
Hi Connor. I’m west of Cong 

Nice part of the world, I bought a log splitter out your way I think.. niall in proarc, cornamona. I'm over near the Galway roscommon border, east of tuam.

Same village. Good splitters.those.

On 28/12/2018 at 19:35, agrimog said:

woodland mills, yes its made in china, no its not shite, built to fill a void in the market,

Hmmm. I'm not sure if I agree. Some of it is, now doubt, suited to the market that that price aims at. But, having studied a couple of things on the woodchipper front, I would run a mile (and I don't run for nowt!) from it. The woodchippers arrive on a flatpack with instructions and youtube video for self assembly it said......How do you know that these things are CE compliant? Are they? what about reach distances, what about infeed controls? What about safety features? Sorry, I'm not convinced.....

I had heard of someone recently having a life changing accident in a non compliant woodchipper - your arm does not grow back........

flatpack, hardly a feed chute and a couple of other bits to assemble, then set the height  for your particular tractor, not a lot, but then if you dont mind paying the supplier a couple of grand to do this with your " premium other make".. fine, and safety CE compliant, yes, its been tested in europe, has feed controls and all the important bits, but, and this is the big thing, the guys who designed this machine actually thought that whoever was going to operate it might actually have a bit of common sense, yes that strange thing thats so missing these days........pto driven equipment has been around almost as long as theres been tractors, yes it can be dangerous, but so can crossing the street these days, a very good friend of the old school training put it very plainly and rather well..........you cant make everything idiot proof, they'll just build a better idiot.......which when operating dangerous machinery is very apt, if you dont know, dont touch it, and as  some of my warning stickers on open drives, blades, and power transmisons  now say...... not only will this machine kill you....it'll hurt you the whole time its doing it

• Like 1

I love your last statement/sticker. I have come across one on a GreenMech that said "Not to be operated by +*&%wits!". I would agree with you - heads in oven, fingers from spinning things etc. But, I'm sure that the current CE regs say something on the line of having a flat infeed chute (or sloping up) if there is powered infeed. The length of the infeed also counts, as does the height and operation of the control bar and function of the controls. One point (whether you care or not, see the relevance or not) is that the discharge chute should only rotated by more than something like 270 degrees and not be able to be turned and pointed towards those feeding the infeed chute - irrespective of whether it bangs into the tractor!

I'm not knocking or mocking you or your product as there is a place for everything and not everyone can afford or need a quality, British built, fully compliant 'chipper. Personally, I would not give it yardspace anymore than I would promote a big chainsaw with a chainbrake and AV cage...just saying...

11 minutes ago, agrimog said:

but, and this is the big thing, the guys who designed this machine actually thought that whoever was going to operate it might actually have a bit of common sense, yes that strange thing thats so missing these days........pto driven equipment has been around almost as long as theres been tractors, yes it can be dangerous, but so can crossing the street these days, a very good friend of the old school training put it very plainly and rather well..........you cant make everything idiot proof, they'll just build a better idiot.......which when operating dangerous machinery is very apt, if you dont know, dont touch it, and as  some of my warning stickers on open drives, blades, and power transmisons  now say...... not only will this machine kill you....it'll hurt you the whole time its doing it

Sorry, just reread this and my personal opinion is that you should not be supplying dangerous equipment if that is your general attitude.

I dont supply equipment, I run and operate machinery purchased in this country, with the so called CE marks, and intended for use in forestry and agriculture, but I only employ people who actually can think for themselves, use common sense, and realise that in any situation where its man v machine,......the machine IS going to win, and dont ever get there, stop, walk away, stop the equipment completly, fix the problem, then restart, dont ever rely on mechanical or electric safety devices......they WILL FAIL, it doesnt matter how good they are

On 28/12/2018 at 20:44, Keep_flying said:

From web research I'm liking the look of the Woodland Mills WC 68 & 88.

Both reasonable prices and look to be decently put together .

I do note the 88 says min power requirement of 30hp which may steer me to the 68.

I have 2 tractors I can use for this, 35hp & 80hp with the 35hp machine having big flotation tyres so I can get into the wood in the winter and not cause a mess.

Any personal experience with either of these machines?

Defiantely recommend the woodland mills wc88 bought one 4yrs very happy with it I usually run it on a international 434 small compact easy to get in small places chips everything I need and as @agrimog says straightforward and well thought out easy too maintain yourself  

I was told years ago that everything bigger than a donkeys manhood is firewood

so I never chip big brash 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Keep_flying said:

Thanks Shavey, very helpful.

Perhaps PeteB if you wouldn't give the Woodland Mills machines yard space you could recommend a machine I could look at instead?

Let me guess; there will be something green about it and it may have funny circular things instead of straight cutters

• Like 1
  • Haha 1