Farm wood chipper

Keep_flying

Hi folks,

So last year I asked and got some excellent advice on choosing a saw so thought I'd come back to ask about chippers.

We have 10 acres of mixed broadleaf woodland including a lot, of what is now, dead ash which I am going to start taking out. So I'm looking to invest in a chipper, obviously as a farmer I have tractors about the place so a pto driven machine seemed an obvious choice but having a basic look around it seems you can get eBay rubbish for a grand or so or pro machines for 5 grand + with nothing in between. Needless to say my budget falls slap bang in the middle.

So over to you guys, we have log burners so won't be chipping anything over 4". Machine can be pto or with its own engine and then I can go off farm which would be helpful.

What's your recommendations please?

Edited by Keep_flying

1 minute ago, Keep_flying said:

Wow the cheapest Farmi machine I can find is over £7k, double what I have to spend.

Didn't pay that for mine, but you do have to keep an eye out.. a good chipper at the right price doesn't last long on the classifieds! If it will be all below 4inch why not look at a branch logger? Turn those ash tops into kindling and wood chunks. Could have a new one for the money you're talking. Google techmar.pl/gr110 uncomplicated machine.. turns waste to a useable product and at a push can be used to"chip" or more accurately, chunk waste tops to reduce bulk.

Yes that is for a new machine. Actually I do have a way of using proper chip with the wife's chickens and geese, not that they are costing anything at the moment but the chip would be out to use.

Didn't see anyone selling Techmar new, only used, are they still going?

Does anyone know anything about Woodland mills, the American company? Very slick website.

Edited by Keep_flying

Direct sales only as far as I know.. I brought mine direct from Poland. Can't say for the woodland mills, have heard good and bad about them.. as is the case with most things in life! An awful lot of "american" made stuff is rebadged Chinese.. make sure you see it in the flesh to assess the build quality. Keep an eye out for a chipper with the likes of John mason.. Well worth having a quick chat with him and letting him know your in the market.. Also keep an eye here for one.. tends to be newer equipment but you never know what may come along.

• Like 1