Studying tips, helps, etc

mikedrums69

Probably recycling earlier comments here but I did months of studying when I was 31-33 so had had a few years off it.

Targets, rewards, routine are the salient things that pop into my head.  Hypothetical examples - 

Targets;  I'll read these two chapters and make notes on them this session.

Rewards;  a couple of pints in your local when the work's done.

Routine;  finish clearing up from work, feed the dog, make tomorrow's sarnies, 2 hours study.

And importantly get your family/anyone else living with you onside and fully aware that your study time is sacred, that interruption/alteration of it is not up for discussion.

Once you've got these sorted all that's left is self discipline; it's a waste of time getting everything and everybody else organised if you don't knuckle down.  You will get used to it very quickly - I remember now how studying became a part of my day as much as putting the dishwasher on.

A detail; try writing notes as you study that abbreviate the text.  When you're going over it all again and revising you can study your notes, which will be far shorter than the books.

Have confidence in your own ability - you WILL succeed - and good luck.

Jon

Edited by nepia
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikedrums69 said:

Success!! In two days..... I've answered a single question. We'll ignore all the toys thrown that were once in pram and the rapid hair loss. Onwards and upwards :thumbup:

It's a start mate. 

I found that that because I'd always been on the tools I didn't have the sort of skills that others in the room had because they wrote reports and communications all the time. They were mostly from national companies or TOs. You have to relearn stuff from your school days and it takes time, but it does get easier as you get more practiced at it. 

Keep at at it and in time things start to fall into place.

13 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

It's a start mate. 

I found that that because I'd always been on the tools I didn't have the sort of skills that others in the room had because they wrote reports and communications all the time. They were mostly from national companies or TOs. You have to relearn stuff from your school days and it takes time, but it does get easier as you get more practiced at it. 

Keep at at it and in time things start to fall into place.

I know what you mean. left school 16 years ago. I wasn't very good at it then. Been on the tools 10years now, I still enjoy every minute of it. Probably more so now as I can pass on my practical knowledge and experiences to the youngsters, Not that I'd call myself old at 31. 

I just felt my Theoretic side was majorly slacking and its something I can be proud to have.    

27 minutes ago, mikedrums69 said:

I know what you mean. left school 16 years ago. I wasn't very good at it then. Been on the tools 10years now, I still enjoy every minute of it. Probably more so now as I can pass on my practical knowledge and experiences to the youngsters, Not that I'd call myself old at 31. 

I just felt my Theoretic side was majorly slacking and its something I can be proud to have.    

I am glad you started moving on your course, good job!!!  I think what Jon said about keeping notes of the key points is very useful. I find similar with the words I do not understand on the subject, write them down and keep the definition of them handy so you don't keep having to go back and find the word again as you have it right with you. Sometimes it seems in new subjects with lots of words in them, one can get a little lost. 

Ah well, about to have my 40th. Left school, can't remember when, too long ago to remember. Spent years doing jobs and learning lots and lots but never got any qualifications. On a job I love now and it is rolling. Going to become fully qualified in this subject and plan to make something very good of it. 

I would say I am a slightly late starter and don't feel 40. In fact I don't even know what 40 feels like really. LOL!

Time to pull up your Big Boy Pants. The real world sure aint School where you're forced to learn. You wanna better yourself then its all up to you. The only motivation you need is more ££££ in the bank and providing a better life for you and your family. If that aint enough and you're still struggling then Id question your whole work ethic. Digging ditches yes, a job where you'll need to continually learn? Nope. 

On 31/12/2018 at 16:35, trigger_andy said:

Time to pull up your Big Boy Pants. The real world sure aint School where you're forced to learn. You wanna better yourself then its all up to you. The only motivation you need is more ££££ in the bank and providing a better life for you and your family. If that aint enough and you're still struggling then Id question your whole work ethic. Digging ditches yes, a job where you'll need to continually learn? Nope. 

Why are you questioning my work ethnic? You don’t know me! 

Just because I’m struggling with a theoretical course. You think Im struggling practically? 

Just now, mikedrums69 said:

Why are you questioning my work ethnic? You don’t know me! 

Just because I’m struggling with a theoretical course. You think Im struggling practically? 

Of course I dont know you. Im purely going on what you have posted in your Soy Boy, Millennial Sob Story. So yes, Im questioning your work ethic if you're struggling and crying on an open forum. Did you think you'd just get pats on the back? Didums, suck it up Buttercup. And to clarify I understand you might have a strong back, hence the digging ditches comment, maybe if actual academics is required of you and you cant manage then maybe manual labour is more your thing? 

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Of course I dont know you. Im purely going on what you have posted in your Soy Boy, Millennial Sob Story. So yes, Im questioning your work ethic if you're struggling and crying on an open forum. Did you think you'd just get pats on the back? Didums, suck it up Buttercup. And to clarify I understand you might have a strong back, hence the digging ditches comment, maybe if actual academics is required of you and you cant manage then maybe manual labour is more your thing? 

I was looking for advice on studying techniques. Like I asked and what other people has replied with. You know what, they’ve helped. I’m the last person who needs a shoulder to cry on and a pat on the back. I work for the things I want or already have.

think you need to read previous comments before you call me a millennial 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, mikedrums69 said:

I was looking for advice on studying techniques. Like I asked and what other people has replied with. You know what, they’ve helped. I’m the last person who needs a shoulder to cry on and a pat on the back. I work for the things I want or already have.

think you need to read previous comments before you call me a millennial 

Oh Im sorry, I was just basing my reply on your own opening comments.; 

To say I’m not the most  academic person is a huge understatement. I hate class rooms, I struggle to understand things I’m reading and I definitely hate exams and assessments. To say I’ve had really good understanding assessors i think, is a credit to them. 

Im a well driven person, but I’m really struggling to find the motivation to do this. 

If you struggle to ''understand things'' then thats a serious issue. If I was hiring and stumbled upon your post your CV would be right into the shredder. I guess Soy Boy kids these days love to 'share'.