FORESTMASTER DUOBLADE FM16TW

BobbyDee

Need input/comment/criticisms etc. on this splitter please. Intended use is domestic not professional. I can currently still, for now,  manually chop/split OK with my Fiskars X27 however I could do with help with the awkward pieces. Log size around a max of 300-350 mm length. This unit looks like it should do the job and last awhile, it's not the cheapest (they seem to start at £200 for a very basic and probably useless unit)  at around £469  but I'm unfamiliar with electric splitters and I'm getting older (67) by the minute and the aches last a while.

Edited by BobbyDee

Had a qick google of it as i'm not familiar with the make, to be honest, it looks like a.n.other chinese electric splitter, don't expect too much from it. if you are happy to cut your logs shorter it should split some moderately knotty bits but if you require longer logs and are splitting twisty or knotty hardwoods i doubt it would be great.

Saying that, the ram in my processor is abot 7 ton and it splits most of whats put in front of it.

If you own a tractor a hydraulic machine is far more productive

If you are splitting reasonably clean wood it may do the job nicely.. expect it to take longer than splitting with an axe as you will have to wait for it to cleave through the log to seperate the fibers. Also, if splitting larger rounds, consider a vertical machine, its easier to repeatedly split the round when its on end. hope that was of some help, whatever machine you choose, happy splitting!

• Like 1

https://forest-master.com/downloads/8-ton-duocut-fm16-electric-log-splitter-detail

Mines a 3000 watt, 9 ton vertical generic Chinese. It's fine, will split anything but its slow. I'd say go for vertical, hard to explain but with a vertical you can build a wraparound table and it makes everything so much easier.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Had a qick google of it as i'm not familiar with the make, to be honest, it looks like a.n.other chinese electric splitter, don't expect too much from it. if you are happy to cut your logs shorter it should split some moderately knotty bits but if you require longer logs and are splitting twisty or knotty hardwoods i doubt it would be great.

Saying that, the ram in my processor is abot 7 ton and it splits most of whats put in front of it.

If you own a tractor a hydraulic machine is far more productive

If you are splitting reasonably clean wood it may do the job nicely.. expect it to take longer than splitting with an axe as you will have to wait for it to cleave through the log to seperate the fibers. Also, if splitting larger rounds, consider a vertical machine, its easier to repeatedly split the round when its on end. hope that was of some help, whatever machine you choose, happy splitting!

No tractor...yet so electric is my only option. Thank you for your input.

I have had this splitter for 2 years and run quite a bit prob over 80m3 through it (domestic use). It has been cracking also have a 6lb maul and x27. If the wood is easy I go to the x27 as it is quicker but everything else goes through the forest master.

It has been very abused splitting nasty knotty stuff up to 30” wide and found with big bits as long as you take little bites with it is fine!! I have had it in bits once to try and fix the ram returning when the pump was running but couldn’t find the fault (and the splitter still works fine) I have also had to weld the black log support side rails on as the larger pieces of wood stripped the screw threads. Some spare parts are available for them if you do a bit of searching. In hindsight I would of got a vertical splitter to make splitting the bigger stuff easier but for a mains splitter and for the money it has lots of power has only been stopped by a handful of pieces and it eventually went through them!! I have a friend who has the screwfix Titan and the forestmaster is about twice as heavy 47kg and has far less issues with knotty bits

• Like 2

On 26/12/2018 at 14:54, Spongey said:

I have had this splitter for 2 years and run quite a bit prob over 80m3 through it (domestic use). It has been cracking also have a 6lb maul and x27. If the wood is easy I go to the x27 as it is quicker but everything else goes through the forest master.

It has been very abused splitting nasty knotty stuff up to 30” wide and found with big bits as long as you take little bites with it is fine!! I have had it in bits once to try and fix the ram returning when the pump was running but couldn’t find the fault (and the splitter still works fine) I have also had to weld the black log support side rails on as the larger pieces of wood stripped the screw threads. Some spare parts are available for them if you do a bit of searching. In hindsight I would of got a vertical splitter to make splitting the bigger stuff easier but for a mains splitter and for the money it has lots of power has only been stopped by a handful of pieces and it eventually went through them!! I have a friend who has the screwfix Titan and the forestmaster is about twice as heavy 47kg and has far less issues with knotty bits

Thanks for that. Now considering the Hartnett 8 ton vert electric splitter. Higher cost but the spec seems very good. Decisions decisions.

2 hours ago, BobbyDee said:

Thanks for that. Now considering the Hartnett 8 ton vert electric splitter. Higher cost but the spec seems very good. Decisions decisions.

Mines a Hartnett 9 tonne vertical. They are generic Chinese, rebadged, as is always the case. Hartnett is just a reseller - nice guy though, and honest, I would say. I would recommend buying from him just for the peace of mind and parts backup. Having said that, I went to use mine today and found a pool of hydraulic oil under it. Reservoir empty. No obvious damage. Was working fine yesterday. I may have damaged it manhandling it into and out of it's shed, but can't see any damage. Will get more oil tomorrow and try and find the problem. It's six weeks out of warranty too! ? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Mines a Hartnett 9 tonne vertical. They are generic Chinese, rebadged, as is always the case. Hartnett is just a reseller - nice guy though, and honest, I would say. I would recommend buying from him just for the peace of mind and parts backup. Having said that, I went to use mine today and found a pool of hydraulic oil under it. Reservoir empty. No obvious damage. Was working fine yesterday. I may have damaged it manhandling it into and out of it's shed, but can't see any damage. Will get more oil tomorrow and try and find the problem. It's six weeks out of warranty too! ? 

Had a Hartnett petrol powered circular saw.. lightly built but did it's job, I know someone with one of their larger vertical splitters and it's a powerful machine, wouldn't be afraid to own one for personal use, and as haironyourchest says, they are decent to deal with and if you do find a pool of oil under it there is someone at the other end of the phone for parts etc..