Tis the season to be merry....

Big J

Tra la la la laaaaa, the sewage drain to the septic tank is mostly blocked. 

Shit. 

Literally.

Any festive tips on DIY solutions? I shudder to think of the call out charges for professional on Christmas day. It's oozing a bit from the cover on the drive, and removal of the cover and prodding with a hoe (I can't think of a less attractive use of that phrase) yielded no joy.

I poured half a litre of washing powder in and closed the cover up again. Have to leave the cover on as it prevents any solids from escaping. The liquid I'm flushing away with the hosepipe onto the lawn and it's manageable. It would happen on Christmas eve, when we've folk staying so there is more pressure on the system than usual.

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

Tra la la la laaaaa, the sewage drain to the septic tank is mostly blocked. 

Shit. 

Literally.

Any festive tips on DIY solutions? I shudder to think of the call out charges for professional on Christmas day. It's oozing a bit from the cover on the drive, and removal of the cover and prodding with a hoe (I can't think of a less attractive use of that phrase) yielded no joy.

I poured half a litre of washing powder in and closed the cover up again. Have to leave the cover on as it prevents any solids from escaping. The liquid I'm flushing away with the hosepipe onto the lawn and it's manageable. It would happen on Christmas eve, when we've folk staying so there is more pressure on the system than usual.

You're right about calling out a company over Christmas£££. Have you got/can get some drain rods. Pouring undissolved washing powder in there wasn't the best move.

• Like 1

Sorry to say but unless you want to get up close and personal with the contents of the drain, you are probably in for laying out some cash.

If you want to DIY, you will need to shovel the contents of the inspection hatch (manhole) into buckets, in order to get access to the drain runs. Then a set of draining rods with pigtail fitting to get to the blockage and break it up into chunks.

The other option is to get someone in with a jetter...

• Like 1

Washing powder was historically always my go to solution for minor blockages. Would work well in toilets after a heavy movement!

There was nothing in the inspection hatch that was especially solid. It was nearly all fluid, with a crust on top. 

I don't object hugely to doing something about it myself, but the issue is I've got nothing available to me on Christmas day as everything is shut. I'll text my landlord in the morning and see if he has any drain rods I can use. 

As I said, timing could not be worse! Thanks for the responses chaps :D

6 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

This it what happens when the turds hear that you are a fan of ‘remain’ I’m afraid J.

I was trying to think of a witty retort for that, but then realised it was my dookie that had the best comeback!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

Washing powder was historically always my go to solution for minor blockages. Would work well in toilets after a heavy movement!

There was nothing in the inspection hatch that was especially solid. It was nearly all fluid, with a crust on top. 

I don't object hugely to doing something about it myself, but the issue is I've got nothing available to me on Christmas day as everything is shut. I'll text my landlord in the morning and see if he has any drain rods I can use. 

As I said, timing could not be worse! Thanks for the responses chaps :D

Go get a mop out of the house, use it as a plunger on the outlet of the manhole pipework, hydraulic if you like, if it isn't a stubborn blockage you've a fair chance (on domestic drains) of pushing it on its way with the weight of water/sewage behind it. Don't empty the chamber before you start.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

Go get a mop out of the house, use it as a plunger on the outlet of the manhole pipework, hydraulic if you like, if it isn't a stubborn blockage you've a fair chance (on domestic drains) of pushing it on its way with the weight of water/sewage behind it. Don't empty the chamber before you start.

I'll open it up first thing and see how it looks. I imagine that it will drain away over the course of the night as some fluid is getting through. I can always refill it if required.