Pto winch for tractor

swinny

14 minutes ago, Gray git said:

Check out the farmi 5.5JL which for tipping trees is brilliant with the rachet brake which gives good cable control, just sold ours which would have done you perfectly and upgraded to a krapan 8.5 eh, power out and remote control is brilliant but no where near as much fine control. That can be fun even on our big valtra which is 9 ton with the ballast tipping sideways if the pull isn't plumb straight.
If your not doing much in the way of skidding or forestry I'd go bigger pull but basic manual control for same money.

Ffs John ? 

Chris, if you just want a winch for pulling big trees over and not skidding get a proper winch tractor. All the time a winch is on a three-point linkage you are a tractor down, can't say I have been that impressed with any of them either. The old dog below has had to go out and rescue the day on many an occasion where a supposed "dogs bollocks" winch has failed, normally pulling from so high at the back it lifts the tractors front wheels off the ground or the anchor plate can't get into the ground to be effective.

image.jpg11_zpsdz9icsqz.jpg

image.jpg10_zpsx1as3mii.jpg

image.jpg3_zps9oru7dm8.jpg

image.jpg9_zpso0ujd0hq.jpg

Edited by aspenarb
  • Like 2

Chris, if you just want a winch for pulling big trees over and not skidding get a proper winch tractor. All the time a winch is on a three-point linkage you are a tractor down, can't say I have been that impressed with any of them either. The old dog below has had to go out and rescue the day on many an occasion where a supposed "dogs bollocks" winch has failed, normally pulling from so high at the back it lifts the tractors front wheels off the ground or the anchor plate can't get into the ground to be effective.

image.jpg11_zpsdz9icsqz.jpg

image.jpg10_zpsx1as3mii.jpg

image.jpg3_zps9oru7dm8.jpg

image.jpg9_zpso0ujd0hq.jpg

What’s the winch bob?

Hmmmmm, slow and powerful or fast and not so powerful, though the 2 speed Boughton type, mitigates some.

Re the height of the pulley, I see no significent difference between the Boughton and any Continental forestry winch with a low mounted pulley.

And, bluntly, numbers count, 10t is 10t, though probably the FOS of the Boughton was higher.

And if the Boughton is coupled to an older, relatively asthmatic tractor  .  .  ., it must be down to the gearing , so it must be bloody slow.

Marcus

2 hours ago, difflock said:

Hmmmmm, slow and powerful or fast and not so powerful, though the 2 speed Boughton type, mitigates some.

Re the height of the pulley, I see no significent difference between the Boughton and any Continental forestry winch with a low mounted pulley.

And, bluntly, numbers count, 10t is 10t, though probably the FOS of the Boughton was higher.

And if the Boughton is coupled to an older, relatively asthmatic tractor  .  .  ., it must be down to the gearing , so it must be bloody slow.

Marcus

Beg to differ Mr Flock, hydraulic winches just blow off on the relief valves when near their max and pull a lot less ( unknowingly to the operator) if the hydraulics are not 100% . These older PTO winches will keep pulling way beyond their claimed max and normally snap the rope, even with a tired engine and not full throttle. I have never snapped a rope pulling a tree over but have done plenty pulling loaded forwarders, mogs ( with their own winches) and excavators out of the mire.  As for slow I have never seen a winch yet that can spool in faster than a tree can fall, as far as pulling over monsters and standing up leaners go I don`t think there is anything better. Just my worthless opinion.

Bob

A bit on the Cookes

Only problem with these old winches is they aren't considered "safe" as often once they are pulling and underload your committed and if anything like the one I had impossible to release the cable once under tension, definitely not for the inexperienced operator, that said in the right hands they are amazing and in the wrong hands a brand new "safe" 3ton skidding winch can be lethal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Bob,

Indeed as I alluded to with my Factor Of Safety comment re the old winches,

i.e. overpulling past their rated loads until something fails, and where did hydraulic winches ever be mentioned by me?

I have due respect for older tractors and technology, but HP is HP, and pulling power is pulling power.

The one thing about an older dedicated winch tractor, is like the "beware the man with only one gun, for he knows it well"  it, the winch tractor, will be a well known quantity to its owner operator.

And untwist yer knickers re yer supposedly worthless opinion, I for one, rate your vast and empirical knowledge,

cheers

Marcus

P.S.

Some of the local farmers who had local Bogland re-claimed back in the grant aided 50's or 60's still reminise about "Tugtug" a local winch equipped Nuffield, running an 1" wire rope, used for recovering stuck diggers/bulldozers.

8 hours ago, aspenarb said:

Beg to differ Mr Flock, hydraulic winches just blow off on the relief valves when near their max and pull a lot less ( unknowingly to the operator) if the hydraulics are not 100% . These older PTO winches will keep pulling way beyond their claimed max and normally snap the rope, even with a tired engine and not full throttle. I have never snapped a rope pulling a tree over but have done plenty pulling loaded forwarders, mogs ( with their own winches) and excavators out of the mire.  As for slow I have never seen a winch yet that can spool in faster than a tree can fall, as far as pulling over monsters and standing up leaners go I don`t think there is anything better. Just my worthless opinion.

Bob

A bit on the Cookes

Edited by difflock