Pto winch for tractor

swinny

Just after some advice on what to go for.

looking to get a pto winch for the back of the tractor for the odd big fells or leaners etc. Dont want something too fancy or costly as wont get used a lot but good to have in the inventory.

we have a 100hp 4 wd tractor weighs maybe 5-5.5t

any advice please as to what size / power to go for.

many thanks

chris

Edited by swinny

If you want to pull stuff over you really need to get an electrohydraulic winch.  As for pulling power as much as you can afford.  With 100hp you should be easily able to power 8-9 tonnes.  If you dont know the drum acts as a gear so when you have all the cable out you get max pull and it decreases from there.  There is also constant pull winches which are hydraulically powered normally.  

Life changing inventions that once you have used you cant do without included powered outfeed and a radio remote.  I can recommend Uniforest and Krpan.  I have used 4,6,6.5,8 and 9.5 over the years and bigger is better until it comes to specing up blocks and strops that could in theory take twice the load.  I have a 6.5 and it covers most things but i'd rather an 8. Mine is alll manual and i miss all the bells and whistles that i use to have.  I'd rather a 4.5t electro hydraulic than a 6.5 manual i think if you want it for felling. 

Your looking at 3.5 to 7 k for the winch depending on how big you go.

Edited by Brushcutter
  • Like 1

If you get a blade on the winch to dig into the ground you can put any power you want on, 100hp with pto will run it easily. 

You can pick up winches quite cheap, it's just a matter of which extras you want - remote control, twin drum etc.

• Like 1

Any 8 tonne winch would be my choice , you will flip a 100hp tractor though so be careful if wondering out of eye sight with a remote.. but will pull most things.
I’ve worked with Krpan , igland ,uniforest ,igland and tajfun all are good as long as they are looked after but are pretty simple to maintain and rebuild.
I would try and buy new or very low hours ex demo as a lot are abused.

http://www.riko-uk.com/category/winches-pto-driven-drum

That will give you a rough price guide.  To have any meaningful use in assisted felling you need the electro hydraulic  as you can keep keeps the brake on so you can apply tension and it brakes to that tension.  A manual is on and off and that isn't useful in assisted felling. 

we have a uniforest at work on an A93 valtra so just shy of 6 tons with wheel weights and loader. winch will stand tractor up fairly easily on some angles.

pto driven on just over tickover, drag a fair old stick out but if digs in hard will stall tractor so stops scary things happening i reckon.

power out would be soooo good as yeah it gets  hard work dragging a long cable out, however some lucky driving and get tractor close to tree, hook on and then use tractor to spool out can work.

not the greatest winch for digging in as the butt plate/skid can just slide if harder ground,too flat, old winch had serrated plate welded on like shark teeth and it dug in a lot better, not a hard modification at all.

it has pull or brake, let go of pull and it auto brakes, however you dont need to release brake to wind in a touch more - two folks for assisted fell is better, easy hand signals and soo much cheaper than remotes etc.

belive was from riko

http://www.riko-uk.com/category/winches-pto-driven-drum

That will give you a rough price guide.  To have any meaningful use in assisted felling you need the electro hydraulic  as you can keep keeps the brake on so you can apply tension and it brakes to that tension.  A manual is on and off and that isn't useful in assisted felling. 

You can flip the metal lever that jams the drum for skidding but fiddly!
Have found you need decent tractor electrics on the modern electro hydraulics or they can be a pita but as you say are good.