Pto winch for tractor

swinny

I have a uniforest on my Kubota, seems good.

It’s the 35m, seems good for assisted felling, pull it tight on the lever, then it holds, then pull the lever again to pull it over.

No doubt if I had more forestry type stuff to do, day after day, the Heath Robinson lever and cord arrangement would be a real pita.

There have been a couple of occassions when I wished the Krpan EH had had some sort of controlled release function, but all I could do was release under maximum tension(i.e. the winch had maxxed out and I had to release to re-align the tractor) resulting in an unholy mess of loose wire on the drum, that required spooling out the rest of the wire and respooling under tension, a proper time consuming bollox.

Edited by difflock

47 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

I’ve got an old fransgard winch, does the job well for us when we need it. It was a bit small behind my old valmet and is even smaller behind my new t150

il probably upgrade at some point but there’s very little to go wrong with it 

C3C5110C-07CA-490D-A4C7-1A10457A427B.jpeg

That kind of thing just the ticket for me to dabble my toes into winching

You can probably pick a second hand one like that for £800-1000 or cheaper if you look out for them ,problem is how worn out is it , we sold an old 5t fransaguard this year for £350 it was knacked !! , you can buy a decent krpan or tajfun 5-6 tonne new for around 2k

I run a fransguard 6.5, crackin basic winches . I don't have the powered out feed or anything.

if we are using it for repeated pulls up a steep bank we fasten about 50 Mtrs of blue poly rope to the end hook so when you've un chokered you fasten the chokers in the sliders and fasten them onto the end hook, then the guy at the bottom of the bank can use the poly rope to pull the wire towards him.

probably not explained that very well as I'm slowly finding my way to the bottom of a bottle of sloe gin, but it does work.

• Like 1

Check out the farmi 5.5JL which for tipping trees is brilliant with the rachet brake which gives good cable control, just sold ours which would have done you perfectly and upgraded to a krapan 8.5 eh, power out and remote control is brilliant but no where near as much fine control. That can be fun even on our big valtra which is 9 ton with the ballast tipping sideways if the pull isn't plumb straight.
If your not doing much in the way of skidding or forestry I'd go bigger pull but basic manual control for same money.

• Like 1