Aspen 2 oil

Rough Hewn

On 24/12/2018 at 14:13, Stubby said:

Change out the rubber components that have been attacked by the petrol .  Aspen wont harm them from then on . 

I've got a couple of old saws that were run on pump fuel and are now on Aspen 2. One (Stihl 036) has had a new fuel pipe and a carb kit as it was dodgy before I started using it and the other (Stihl 044) has had nothing since it had a new piston fitted as it was seized when I got it. I run my old Dynamac on Aspen 2 with no alterations but a  tweak of the L screw. It says in the manual that it needs 25:1 mix but it keeps going.

9 hours ago, Aspen@AAOIL said:

That sounds about right! Rest assured that your machines are getting the best protection if you are using Aspen 2 :) 

Could you please clarify which 2 stroke oil specifications "youre" ? oil conforms to today ??

The reasons i stopped using Aspen 2 stroke fuel were; 1. The 2 stroke oil used at the current time(2015)  had the specifikcation JASO FC ! My saws require JASO FD

2. Aspen Will ONLY sell their product through Their dealer(stealer) network, i am still using alkylate fuel, Another brand though, and I buy it without 2 stroke oil and mix in the oil specified by the Saw manufacture

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mygalomorph said:

Could you please clarify which 2 stroke oil specifications "youre" ? oil conforms to today ??

The reasons i stopped using Aspen 2 stroke fuel were; 1. The 2 stroke oil used at the current time(2015)  had the specifikcation JASO FC ! My saws require JASO FD

2. Aspen Will ONLY sell their product through Their dealer(stealer) network, i am still using alkylate fuel, Another brand though, and I buy it without 2 stroke oil and mix in the oil specified by the Saw manufacture

I buy Arpen 4 or Husqvarnas version and mix it a 50:1 with Red Line Racing 2T oil . Not seen an oil spec that exceeds that .

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I buy Arpen 4 or Husqvarnas version and mix it a 50:1 with Red Line Racing 2T oil . Not seen an oil spec that exceeds that .

Wise choise ??  i would use Red Line too, if i could buy it, here in Denmark, in larger bottles than 473 ml ?

I would though, Very much like to try Echo Power blend X, just out of curiosity ?  

But so far i'm sticking to Husqvarna XP oil at 40:1

i dont use aspen in my old saws as i have not replaced the fuel lines and carb rubbers etc very much  , but i have used  Aspen 4 in my  newer  550 and 562  and run them at 40:1  with  Ipone  racing  full synthetic ester based oil which has  about  highest VI at 100deg c  16.1 mm/s measurement  with other synthetic oils  motul 800  which i use too is the highest at 19 ,husqvarna xp is  7.5 !, stihl  is 7.5 !

Edited by huskywilson

Whilst respecting that many users have a personal preference for one oil or another ( Redline, Ipone, etc) i feel it important to mention that there is really no need to rush out and buy this stuff. There is simply nothing much wrong with most of the main brands. Those branded by, or endorsed by, the manufacturers are perfectly good oils, as is Rock Oil, but I personally would steer clear of the universal two stroke oils sold in garages, DIY stores etc.

I feel its also very important to dispel any stories of the Aspen2 FRT oil causing problems, this is certainly far from true, and the FRT oil is certainly very high grade, and as stated by AspenOIl, it does exceed the quality of most other oils.

The thing with Aspen FRT is that the oil has been developed by Aspen to provide the very best protection and they can only ensure that, if they exceed the exceptions of all the machine manufacuters. Aspen carry out exhaustive testing in their own labs, not just in test tubes, but by running identical engines on both their own oil and others, before dismantling and inspecting in fine details. The future of Aspen depends on its quality, and they will never compromise that quality.

Rest assured that Aspen2 fuel offers the very best in protection for your powered equipment, there is no need to complicate matters with other oils or ratios.

It is very easy for any oil to exceed the JASO standards, the bar is set quite low and by no means covers all properties of the oil, some oils can exceed the FD requirements but still be quite poor oils.

With regards to the mention of the VI values in a previous post, where oils were being compared on their Viscosity index. This looks good on paper, but the viscosity of a two stoke oil at temperature is not particularly conducive to its performance IN MY OPINION.

Quick question for the experts.

I have decided to use the alkalyte stuff in my new Echo 2511.

When I bought it, I got a can of Motomix and it seems good.
Then yesterday I was in another shop and picked up some Aspen, presumably I can switch from one to another without any issues?

I hope so as I've been doing that for over 18 months.
[emoji106]
  • Thanks 1

The only issues that can possibly occur when switching between fuels may be a requirement to retune.

To be honest, this is no more of a problem than in the pre-alkylate days, when switching between various mixes of pump petrol could also cause slight tuning differences. Back in those days I sometimes had to retune a machine I had serviced using my own fuel mix after a customer had taken it back and used satisfactorily until he reverted to his own mix.

It is no different now with Alkylates, most operators will not notice any difference though, but some finicky machines may possibly just need a little tweak to achieve perfection.

In my opinion its much simpler just to stick to one fuel, its fairly easy to do, just buy Aspen2!

• Like 2