Anyone fitted a kill switch to a tractor?

Woodworks

4 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I do and have done with my previous branch logger but why not add another level of safety if it not too difficult? 

Yes I think there is also the need for an emergency engine stop.

4 hours ago, Woodworks said:

My old Urban one you could stop the wood going in easily. Doing a load of willow the other day with the new machine and the pull was pretty fierce and not sure I could have stopped it. Once the end was in it was only going one way just like a chipper.

I asked you about this in another thread, I wondered what the pull was like to see if it would be possible to have a simple branch stripper for small conifer in front. Our local wildlife trust volunteers cut small scots pine to halt invasion of the heather and these branch loggers could turn that into a product if the branches were off first.

I would like to see your one working. If the blades are set around the rotor such that the cut is complete before the next blades engage with the wood then I can see it won't pull. If the second set of teeth are cutting then it will keep cutting and pulling. This could be a simple function of the number of blades. E.g. 3 blades it won't pull 4 it will.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I do and have done with my previous branch logger but why not add another level of safety if it not too difficult? 

My old Urban one you could stop the wood going in easily. Doing a load of willow the other day with the new machine and the pull was pretty fierce and not sure I could have stopped it. Once the end was in it was only going one way just like a chipper. Now whether it was the wood or the larger capacity that made it pull so hard I don't know. Our tractor is like your Fergie in that if things get too tough it just stalls but the 60hp machine we used on the willow took some stopping.

So what model is your PTO one?

I initially bought an Urban SM70 with a petrol Briggs engine and it seemed to work well at a nice steady speed.  The blades were such that they did not grab the branches and I never had any problem just holding onto the branch to stop it going in.

That Urban model was nicked by some thieving scumbags and I bought the TR110 pto version which was quite a bit cheaper,

but it took slightly bigger diameter branches and definitely had a bit more grunt.  I think that it would take 4 inch diameter but it would break the shearpin on the harder woods with a knot.  And those big diameter branches really flipped up and down hard and you needed to stand clear otherwise a long branch might flip up and hit your arm or face.

I found that the pto model ran a lot faster than I wanted it to at 540 rpm so that is why it works so well at tickover revs., it also is quite easy to stop a branch being pulled through  A nice even feed and no strain on anything and no broken shearpins.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Just looked at the inoice from Welmac and it was the Remet RP150

Yep, that is the brand just you have the larger model. Bigger capacity doing smaller wood would probably explain why yours releases. Mine was at it's max on the job above doing willow up to 100mm and it just kept on pulling. 

Happy Christmas to you 

• Like 1