Anyone fitted a kill switch to a tractor?

Woodworks

33 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Wire a switch up to the stop solenoid would be simple enough, but not sure how you’d route the cable easily.

May be easier to put a two pin socket into the  fuel solenoid earth and route a rope attached to the plug to stop the engine.

The PTO will continue for a while though if the IPTO clutch disengages. On my Holder running the bench or screw splitter the PTO was not live so it stopped with the engine

I'm not at all sure how a modern PTO gets stopped

• Like 1

I have my pto branch logger fitted to the little grey Fergie with a petrol engine. The stop switch is wired to the ignition which stops the engine immediately but I run the Fergie at low revs so that it will stall the engine before it breaks the shear pin.

The main difference between these branch loggers and the chipper/shredders is that if you hold on to the material you can easily stop it going through so that you are very unlikely to be dragged into the machine if you have a bit of clothing which becomes tangled with the branch, unlike the feed system on the chippers.

6 hours ago, agrimog said:

or accept the fact that anything fitted to a tractor pto is dangerous, could kill you, and treat the machine with respect and dont expect a bi of wire to make up for any stupidity when operating it

I do and have done with my previous branch logger but why not add another level of safety if it not too difficult? 

4 hours ago, Billhook said:

I have my pto branch logger fitted to the little grey Fergie with a petrol engine. The stop switch is wired to the ignition which stops the engine immediately but I run the Fergie at low revs so that it will stall the engine before it breaks the shear pin.

The main difference between these branch loggers and the chipper/shredders is that if you hold on to the material you can easily stop it going through so that you are very unlikely to be dragged into the machine if you have a bit of clothing which becomes tangled with the branch, unlike the feed system on the chippers.

My old Urban one you could stop the wood going in easily. Doing a load of willow the other day with the new machine and the pull was pretty fierce and not sure I could have stopped it. Once the end was in it was only going one way just like a chipper. Now whether it was the wood or the larger capacity that made it pull so hard I don't know. Our tractor is like your Fergie in that if things get too tough it just stalls but the 60hp machine we used on the willow took some stopping.

Edited by Woodworks