Biomass burners

Jcarbor

An absolute nightmare. I left it to a smarter person who worked for the biomass fitter. Spent a couple of grand in getting the meter and advice and even then had to get back to them (RHI) three times with more information. Very technical and quite frankly once I started taking the readings realised that the payments just weren’t worth the hassle of dealing with the ongoing commitments of paperwork. They even approved me as a wood supplier but in the end I said thanks but no thanks.
Biomass had been in since 2013 but a retrospective consultation deemed my boiler too big for domestic use as over 40 kW. We later did some AIRBNB so could qualify as a business. For the few hundred a year along with the paperwork we reckoned that life was too short.
Had I got the original grant my installation would have paid off handsomely.
We put up a wind turbine afterwards which does pay

• Like 1

An absolute nightmare. I left it to a smarter person who worked for the biomass fitter. Spent a couple of grand in getting the meter and advice and even then had to get back to them (RHI) three times with more information. Very technical and quite frankly once I started taking the readings realised that the payments just weren’t worth the hassle of dealing with the ongoing commitments of paperwork. They even approved me as a wood supplier but in the end I said thanks but no thanks.
Biomass had been in since 2013 but a retrospective consultation deemed my boiler too big for domestic use as over 40 kW. We later did some AIRBNB so could qualify as a business. For the few hundred a year along with the paperwork we reckoned that life was too short.
Had I got the original grant my installation would have paid off handsomely.
We put up a wind turbine afterwards which does pay

Very similar to our situation, its a right nightmare, we had to register as a self supplier, we’ve just built a new build to rent out so as to conform to business RHI. What burner set up do you have?

Is that a pellet or wood burner?

Logs/wood 

I should add that although I missed out on any subsidies to help cover the 24.5 k installation cost, the last 6 years has seen my oil bill reduce by between 3 and 4 thousand pounds annually.

So even without the subsidy it still works faultlessly, and has just about paid for itself by saving on oil.

I have also recently put multiple immersions in the accumulator which means that if it’s windy the turbine can help maintain the tanks temperature if it’s already sitting at 70 C. It’s also satisfying playing around with the two resources to effectively keep a large house warm while generating a bit of income.IMG_2162.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Taff855 said:

I was led to believe that rhi applications had been stopped? 

Rhi has been reduced a lot but only stopped on drying logs if that's what you're thinking of.

I would get someone else to do the registration, a lot of installers will do it for you. 

• Like 2