Gatwick

eggsarascal

11 hours ago, Billhook said:

I would guess that a 12 bore with full choke and BB shot would bring a drone down from 300 feet maybe more.

Anyone have one for me to test?

There has been one hovering and snooping over properties around here most weekends, it's getting a forced landing the next time it's in range.

Bob

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Stubby said:

5 shot semi auto or not  on an average 30 gram load there are 56 pellets in a BB and 152 pellets in a No 4 . 

Ok, I admit as usual I am not sure of what I am talking about at these sort of ranges.

You should be able to nail a pheasant at 50 yards with a 12 bore and No 6 shot, maybe 60 yards.  It would probably need to be a head shot.  I have always been told that a BB shot pellet can kill at twice that distance, hence the use of heavier shot for high flying geese.  My Browning would let off 280 BB pellets in a matter of seconds with the 5 shots.

Peter Scott did much work with a surgeon at Boston hospital rocket netting flocks of geese and bringing them in to the hospital for XRays to assess the amount of lead shot in them.  I think they found some fantastic figure like 80% of them were carrying lead shot because they had been shot at out of range on both sides of the Atlantic.

I would think that tethering a helium balloon on 300 foot of string would not tell you much about the ability of lead shot to bring a drone down as the skin of a balloon is easily punctured.  If you kept letting out the line you would eventually find the point at which the shot loses all its energy and starts to return to earth, but that would take a lot of time and balloons.

Best Idea is to use a helium balloon to lift a hard plastic model plane to various heights and assess the damage, making sure the balloon is obviously out of range.

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

Ok, I admit as usual I am not sure of what I am talking about at these sort of ranges.

You should be able to nail a pheasant at 50 yards with a 12 bore and No 6 shot, maybe 60 yards.  It would probably need to be a head shot.  I have always been told that a BB shot pellet can kill at twice that distance, hence the use of heavier shot for high flying geese.  My Browning would let off 280 BB pellets in a matter of seconds with the 5 shots.

Peter Scott did much work with a surgeon at Boston hospital rocket netting flocks of geese and bringing them in to the hospital for XRays to assess the amount of lead shot in them.  I think they found some fantastic figure like 80% of them were carrying lead shot because they had been shot at out of range on both sides of the Atlantic.

I would think that tethering a helium balloon on 300 foot of string would not tell you much about the ability of lead shot to bring a drone down as the skin of a balloon is easily punctured.  If you kept letting out the line you would eventually find the point at which the shot loses all its energy and starts to return to earth, but that would take a lot of time and balloons.

Best Idea is to use a helium balloon to lift a hard plastic model plane to various heights and assess the damage, making sure the balloon is obviously out of range.

Mmmm ?

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

would think that tethering a helium balloon on 300 foot of string would not tell you much about the ability of lead shot to bring a drone down as the skin of a balloon is easily punctured.  If you kept letting out the line you would eventually find the point at which the shot loses all its energy and starts to return to earth, but that would take a lot of time and balloons.

Just consider a pattern of 50 odd pellets at 100 yards, it would spread about 10 ft. Now consider the average distace apart of 50 pellets in a 10ft circle and fit a small drone in there, how many pellets will hit the target even if stationary?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, openspaceman said:

Just consider a pattern of 50 odd pellets at 100 yards, it would spread about 10 ft. Now consider the average distace apart of 50 pellets in a 10ft circle and fit a small drone in there, how many pellets will hit the target even if stationary?

My point exactly . Big but fewer pellets . More striking force but big holes in the pattern .