Gatwick

eggsarascal

44 minutes ago, Billhook said:

I am sure BB shot would work well. Dangerous at 450 yards

Yes but that shot only has to rise to the top of its trajectory and then carry on at a similar rate as the muzzle velocity to target. Fired vertically it is constantly under the effect of gravity until it reaches its apogee when its velocity has reduced to zero, it then falls to the ground under gravity less its wind resistance.

So at what heigh has BB still got 100fps, which is probably enough to do damage and how many balls in the target drone?

44 minutes ago, Billhook said:

But you would need a calm person only shooting vertically to be safe and the pellets falling from above would be unlikely to hurt anyone.

That depends on their terminal velocity, a .303 tumbling in free fall is reckoned to do 300mph, easily enough to kill as the painter's family a few miles from Bisley found.

BTW your  Browning sounds naughty.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Yes but that shot only has to rise to the top of its trajectory and then carry on at a similar rate as the muzzle velocity to target. Fired vertically it is constantly under the effect of gravity until it reaches its apogee when its velocity has reduced to zero, it then falls to the ground under gravity less its wind resistance.

So at what heigh has BB still got 100fps, which is probably enough to do damage and how many balls in the target drone?

That depends on their terminal velocity, a .303 tumbling in free fall is reckoned to do 300mph, easily enough to kill as the painter's family a few miles from Bisley found.

BTW your  Browning sounds naughty.

Browning needs a firearm certificate.

As far as I can tell a .303 bullet weighs about 12 grams and is pointed.  If not fired vertically it can maintain a high velocity and kill at great range.

A BB shot weighs about 0.4 gram and is round.   The chances of being hurt by that falling under gravity I would have thought was fairly unlikely.

I would guess that a 12 bore with full choke and BB shot would bring a drone down from 300 feet maybe more.

Anyone have one for me to test?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Billhook said:

I would guess that a 12 bore with full choke and BB shot would bring a drone down from 300 feet maybe more.

I think so but what would be the pattern at 100 yards?

33 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Anyone have one for me to test?

A helium balloon tethered on cotton may be a cheaper way to test the theory.

Watch her hesitate before see says barking dogs deter drones. I think it dawned on her that what she was reading was a crock of shite. I wonder who wrote it for her.

And yet she still said it, passing from well-meaning idiocy to having a tentative and hopeful go at deception. I’m not sure it matters which is worse...
  • Like 2