List your stove FAQs

On 21/12/2018 at 10:15, BowlandStoves said:

One to start you off (we get this one all of the time):-

Question: Which stoves can be used in a smokeless zone?

Answer: Defra stoves are approved for use anywhere in the UK and are the only ones allowed in smokeless zones.

Actually not strictly correct but wise advice non the less.   You can use a non Defra stove within a SC area but you are limited to burning smokeless fuel only,  you are only allowed to burn wood as Bowland says in a Defra approved appliance and not in an open fire.

A

Q,   Using a Defra approved stove do I still need to sweep the chimney and if so how often.

A,    Yes you do,  how often will depend on what you are burning and if you are slumbering the stove.   have it swept after six months then be guided by your sweep.

• 3 months later...

We put a stove in our house but there is corriboard behind the fireplace. I believe it is fire-retardent because it was bought from this company in N.Ireland: https://www.s-pgroup.com/shop/product/standard-corry-board-sheet-floorgard-573?search=fire+retardant - Is this safe? Would we need to remove the corriboard from the wall? Sorry for the novice question, but I am new to stoves and fireplaces?

On 29/12/2018 at 23:22, slim reaper said:

Not arguing with the fact that chimneys should be regularly  swept but I thought the idea behind  defra stoves was they had a stop on the draft control to prevent slumbering??

I'm a bad enough sleeper as it is without DEFRA  interfering .

• Like 2

On 05/04/2019 at 14:58, sebgates said:

We put a stove in our house but there is corriboard behind the fireplace. I believe it is fire-retardent because it was bought from this company in N.Ireland: https://www.s-pgroup.com/shop/product/standard-corry-board-sheet-floorgard-573?search=fire+retardant - Is this safe? Would we need to remove the corriboard from the wall? Sorry for the novice question, but I am new to stoves and fireplaces? 

Hi Sebgates,

Looking at the link, and what the text says, you do not appear to be using the fire-retardent version? If this is the case it should be removed immediately and replaced with the fire-retardent version or another fire-retardent product.

I hope this helps.

Edited by BowlandStoves

• 2 months later...