Prices for qualifications

Personally I'd go for 30/31 (in old money), climbing and aerial rescue as a starter then invest in driving licences; B+E essential, C1+E desirable. Next would be aerial cutting, aerial pruning and aerial rigging then on to felling over 380 and emergency treework operations if going into tree surgery/windblown if going into forestry (in which case you won't need aerial quals either). In your location I'd give Phill and Demelza at Lowe Maintenance in Settle (01729 825132, https://lowe-maintenance.co.uk/a call for some advice and options. They gave me some excellent guidance even though I wasn't going to use them for training having funding elsewhere. Many of the later courses will be funded by a good employer if he thinks you're worth keeping or pick your jobs and spread the cost over time if going SE. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2019 at 23:24, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Cheers spud not sure what the singulare is but heard of the windblown looking at spending this year just gaining qualifications then see where that takes me

I'm pretty certain with the new courses/numbers etc these courses have changed and is now just 1 ticket for windblow.

In the past it was 2 tickets  single and multiple as spud says, i think single allowed u to go into windblow of about 7-12? stems (depending who u asked) and multiple was going into acres of pick up sticks

2 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

I'm pretty certain with the new courses/numbers etc these courses have changed and is now just 1 ticket for windblow.

In the past it was 2 tickets  single and multiple as spud says, i think single allowed u to go into windblow of about 7-12? stems (depending who u asked) and multiple was going into acres of pick up sticks

Any idea on the cs number for the windblow please? 

8 minutes ago, JAG63 said:

they don't have numbers any more, just NPTC code and title. L3 award in severing uprooted or windblown trees is 21-02 (was CS 34 &35), L3 in emergency treework operations is 21-05 (was CS 50).

Thank you for your reply so is it NPTC training centres I need or is it called something else now? 

It's NPTC training providers you need. I went City and Guilds as they are, or were, readily accepted abroad whilst Lantra were not and my funded centre was C&G.

I know of Lowe Maintenance at Settle and TKF training at Holmfirth, there are plenty more about. A lot will deliver courses away from their home location if there is the demand, I think Lowe Maintenance do a lot of their course towards the Lakes. 

This lot say they deliver courses in Cumbria, https://www.hwtraining.co.uk/course/arboriculture-training-courses/. Don't know them so can't give a thumbs up or down.

Edited by JAG63
Update
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/12/2018 at 14:35, drinksloe said:

Just make sure u get NPTC tickets, possibly the cheap course is omething different.

NPTC are recognised by everybody, some forestry companies don't recognise lantra etc

But 1 hell of a lot to cram into 5 days, simply not possible

If anyone ever has a problem with Lantra quals, give Lantra a call.  

The units on which the NPTC e no ( and Lantra quals) are based on were all originally written by Lantra.  As these quals came out in 2012, any not recognising the Lantra ones is just out of touch.

There might be a temptation to think that getting everything done in 5 days is a really good time saving. But you want to make sure that you are properly trained, and assuming you have no prior experience, 5 days is not going to give proper training.  

If in doubt, go one the Lantra website and search the courses, it will show you the recommended durations for the difference courses.  Or, do a quick Google search, and you will quickly see what sort of duration (and prices) different independent trainers are putting against these courses.