wireless solar ip security camera recommendation?

shillo

Just spent the night googling these cameras, as usual after googling stuff i am now more confused than ever.

I want/need a security camera for a remote yard that is capable of sending images to my phone via 4g network upon motion detection. does anybody have any recommendations or a good company to talk to?

• Like 2

Your main problem will

not be the camera, but getting a 4g SIM card with a fixed ip. Very pricey last time I looked. 

You’ll need a decent battery to run a camera all night, and a large solar array to make sure it charges the next cloudy day. 

An alarm system with motion sensors that texts you is far easier to install as a battery powered system. Generally speaking, pir or beam sensors are more accurate than a camera at detecting motion- cameras tend to

give an awful lot of false alarms. I have both, and whilst I’m afraid you can’t beat checking the camera when the alarm goes off, compared to getting out of bed and driving down there, I’m not sure how feasible a camera will be in your situation 

Edited by doobin

11 hours ago, shillo said:

Just spent the night googling these cameras, as usual after googling stuff i am now more confused than ever.

I want/need a security camera for a remote yard that is capable of sending images to my phone via 4g network upon motion detection. does anybody have any recommendations or a good company to talk to?

I think Doobin has advised you well.  I would just add to what he said my main experience when I first installed motion detect cameras is that they work OK during the day, but at night they pretty much record all night long.  If you set them to be not very sensitive they will miss everything, if you set the sensitivity in the middle somewhere they will detect every little movement.  Once the cameras are installed spiders will set up webs by every one which they will re-make each night and these will move constantly in the breeze if outdoors which is enough to set off the recording or notification.

I recently invested in much better cameras which have a PIR sensor instead of just a digital and they only go off a couple of times a night making them much more useful.  If you wake up every time they go off though to view the footage you might find you have a lot of disturbed nights, even with the PIR ones due to vegetation moving, spiders, bats, etc.

53 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Once the cameras are installed spiders will set up webs by every one which they will re-make each night and these will move constantly in the breeze if outdoors which is enough to set off the recording or notification.

I've only experience of mains, internet wired cameras (accessible from my android phone)and a "dog sitting" app on the phone. I had the same problem with spiders and decided it was the infra red leds that surrounded the lens that caused the back scatter from sppider's webs so if I did it again I would have separate lighting and disable the leds..

Recording time with 6 cameras and 1 TB of hard disc and motion detection,was about 3 weeks. Worst problem was back tracking to find when a theft took place and  it was easier if there was an external event which was timed to help isolate the incident. Having a hard drive that could be swapped and viewed externally would have also made life easier.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well having read the previous posts, I am still confused. I have power in my yard but no landline. I like Shillo have spent many an hour glued to the screen studying various companies. But not been a techno freak most of the info is over my head. I know there are systems out there for remote CCTV monitoring of sites which alert you via your phone. But they are playing hide and sneak with me. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to a reasonably priced solution?       Sensera-Systems-SiteWatch-700.jpg

Has anyone found just a remote alarms with SIM card and runs of batteries, I keep drawing a blank online 

Could you not use a mains set up but run through a 240v to 12v inverter, thats operated from a split charge system i.e solar panel with a deep cycle battery (leisure battery) and a small storage capacitor.
Basically operating like a caravan user would.

Has anyone found just a remote alarms with SIM card and runs of batteries, I keep drawing a blank online 

Control Freq do good GSM alarms that run off 12v with SIM card.

You can have 4 inputs and control 2 outputs remotely. You get a call and txt within about 4seconds of activation.

I use Takex quad beam sensors and control a siren and lighting with the out puts.

I've got a 4G router that runs a DVR cctv system with a 100gb a month data contract with 3 for about £30p/m. We have very few false alarms but quite a few actual break in attempts but with the Cctv I can look and decide how much ammo I need to take with me

1 hour ago, Ratman said:

Could you not use a mains set up but run through a 240v to 12v inverter, thats operated from a split charge system i.e solar panel with a deep cycle battery (leisure battery) and a small storage capacitor.
Basically operating like a caravan user would.

Would a inverter not drain a battery really quickly as you would have a lot of inefficacy