Timberwolf shares ‘all the facts’ around Stage V legislation with new campaign

Steve Bullman

4 minutes ago, Big J said:

That's high fuel consumption. 

I work my forwarder a bit harder now than when I first got it (just have it at higher revs) and my 44hp turbo diesel uses 2-2.5 litres per hour.

Do you actually log the hours and fuel purchases in a wee black book.

I have paper proof of my expenses.

(Married an accountant)

Globally, I consider it to be small beer.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Do you actually log the hours and fuel purchases in a wee black book.

I have paper proof of my expenses.

(Married an accountant)

Globally, I consider it to be small beer.

Stuart

You're asking the half German if he keeps track of the figures?! ?

I get between 6 and 7 hours running time on a 15 litre tank (albeit, I refill just before it's empty). 

I just can't see the benefit of petrols in regularly used plant machinery. The running costs are so much higher, as well as all the issues with fuel storage. 

Your stories of your empire amaze and amuse.

your aim to destroy other small businesses is also entertaining.

you are nothing Stuart.

Brittany is not your domain, and never will be.

get from your madness, seek help.

bless you. I understand mental illness 

.all I ask is that we meet and have a chat.

xxxx

It doesnt matter how much you save buying a petrol chipper,  you are going to end up paying more for petrol.

One thing thats not been touched on is the reason behind this legislation. Lots of talk of saving the environment, but this will do nothing to help global warming. Its purely about air quality, and that wont improve sith the likes of china and america carrying on the way they are! Its co2 emissions that need to be addressed to combat global warming.

Anyone who has a dpf on their vehicle knows that lots of short journeys will clog them up, meaning you have to drive at 40mph for half an hour to clear them, which the exhaust then spits out in a lump in the environment anyway!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dig-dug-dan said:

It doesnt matter how much you save buying a petrol chipper,  you are going to end up paying more for petrol.

One thing thats not been touched on is the reason behind this legislation. Lots of talk of saving the environment, but this will do nothing to help global warming. Its purely about air quality, and that wont improve sith the likes of china and america carrying on the way they are! Its co2 emissions that need to be addressed to combat global warming.

Anyone who has a dpf on their vehicle knows that lots of short journeys will clog them up, meaning you have to drive at 40mph for half an hour to clear them, which the exhaust then spits out in a lump in the environment anyway!

What was funny about the v twin Kohler I had on the sawmill before it was replaced under warranty was that it belched black smoke regularly. For quite a while after, there was a coating of black soot on the roof of the sawmill shed. Not a clean engine at all. 

I just like the convenience of red diesel. I have a diesel tank at home, I fill the cans as required, I know I don't have to go to a petrol station to top up, and it's much, much cheaper. 

10 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Just a couple of points from the above.

Everyone goes on about how dirty China is but it's not surprising as it is such a huge country but per capita, it's very little worse than the UK https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html#.XB9a98_7S3I

I know I have been on the wrong end of DPF problems but the idea that all the muck gets chucked out the exhaust anyway is a bit misleading. We all know that if you run your stove at low temps it chucks out lots of filthy smoke and if we run them hot our emissions are far lower. My understanding of a DPF is it saves up all the soot and then burns it off very hot. Sounds like a good idea in theory. 

8 minutes ago, Big J said:

What was funny about the v twin Kohler I had on the sawmill before it was replaced under warranty was that it belched black smoke regularly. For quite a while after, there was a coating of black soot on the roof of the sawmill shed. Not a clean engine at all. 

I just like the convenience of red diesel. I have a diesel tank at home, I fill the cans as required, I know I don't have to go to a petrol station to top up, and it's much, much cheaper. 

Interestingly, when i decided to buy the biggest avant available, i opted for the 750, rather than the 760i, simply because the latter had a kohler engine. I wanted the kubota.

They are bringing out an 860 in feb, and if its got a kohler engine, i wont be interested. They are not good powerplants imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Yes and it's the rebated fuel that's the clincher. I used diesels all my working life and like them for theior robustness as much as anything else.

One thing thats not been touched on is the reason behind this legislation. Lots of talk of saving the environment, but this will do nothing to help global warming. Its purely about air quality,

That's right but it's also about the local environment as particulates from combustion don't travel far.

The simple fact is that most particulates in our local environment are man made, those from combustion are implicated in many health problems. Also there are no safe lower limits for the air we breathe, This is because once ingested  the disruption that the chemicals on the particles can cause to DNA is deep seated. Thereby lies an effect, when manual workers only lived to middle age in the randomness of chance the associated cancers did not develop, now we are ageing  the chances increase. Also  many cancers are not attributable to a cause yet so the full story is yet to be told.

Having said that and not to be complacent  our air quality has improved drastically since my childhood, less bonfires, better emission controls on power stations, next to no stubble burning, lead removed from petrol, fewer open fires etc. so Transport and woodburning become the biggest emitters and attract attention.

and that wont improve sith the likes of china and america carrying on the way they are! Its co2 emissions that need to be addressed to combat global warming.

That's another story and probably now too late to do anything about it except learn to live with the consequences, it's the tragedy of the commons because capitalism cannot factor in external costs.

Anyone who has a dpf on their vehicle knows that lots of short journeys will clog them up,

Yes and this is where petrol hybrids will be more suitable than diesel ic engines for transport but for long haul...

meaning you have to drive at 40mph for half an hour to clear them, which the exhaust then spits out in a lump in the environment anyway!

As I understand it DPFs differ from catalysts in that they actually prevent the particles getting out as all the effluent has to pass through the walls of the filter medium, rather than pass down tubes lined with catalyst which initiates a break down. Normally the DPF is hot enough to burn the small particles to CO2 which then passes out, if the DPF isn't hot enough then it begins to block , the back pressure is senses and sufficient fuel is added by various nefarious means to heat it up and burn out the soot. Over time ash in the fuel and other solids will clog it and it will need replacing, at some expense.

My little diesel has no DPF but I only use it for long journeys. I note in recent weeks the differential in price between petrol and DERV has increased such that my mate's petrol hybrid now challenges my diesel overall on fuel cost.

9 hours ago, James 59 said:

Your stories of your empire amaze and amuse.

your aim to destroy other small businesses is also entertaining.

you are nothing Stuart.

Brittany is not your domain, and never will be.

get from your madness, seek help.

bless you. I understand mental illness 

.all I ask is that we meet and have a chat.

xxxx

What's he ever said derogatory? One of the nicer guys on here imo

• Like 1