Jump to content
Woodworks

Retail cost of kindling per KG?

Recommended Posts

So what about right? Just got a new batch in and the bags are smaller than the last in spite of the cost being the same. I don't make much on kindling but it's nice to have some to offer the customers. So what is a fair retail price to charge per KG. Trying to work it out by all the various bag sizes is a pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My supplier has recently almost halved the size of the bags, when I complained at the cost being the same she snapped and said the bags were fuller than the other ones. Not true, they weighed less than 2 kg each bag. Won't be going there again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, richardwale said:

My supplier has recently almost halved the size of the bags, when I complained at the cost being the same she snapped and said the bags were fuller than the other ones. Not true, they weighed less than 2 kg each bag. Won't be going there again.

Ok but timber prices have took a hike this last year with an average increase of 37% we as a small forestry co have never had prices like we are getting at the moment and the only thing i can say is long may it continue,

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My smallest net is 3kg of kiln dried softwood,  sell at 3.99 inc VAT to retail customers.  Cost from memory about 2.30 plus VAT.   Imported so need to buy it by the container or mix it with some KD logs.

 

A

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The price paid for chip for biomass has jumped up recently this has to have an effect on clean softwood available. 

Last year the supermarkets were selling kindling cheap at around a £1 a kilo . This year I see Tesco selling small bags around 1.5 kilos for £2.99

 

we have held our price for 3 years at £1.80 for 3.7 kilos but our timber source is drying up so the only way we will survive is to pay more for the raw material and increase our price. I would say £2.30 is about right . If we can’t get that sort of money I will shut down but I think a lot of others already have that is why we have been so manically busy recently 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, gensetsteve said:

The price paid for chip for biomass has jumped up recently this has to have an effect on clean softwood available. 

Last year the supermarkets were selling kindling cheap at around a £1 a kilo . This year I see Tesco selling small bags around 1.5 kilos for £2.99

 

we have held our price for 3 years at £1.80 for 3.7 kilos but our timber source is drying up so the only way we will survive is to pay more for the raw material and increase our price. I would say £2.30 is about right . If we can’t get that sort of money I will shut down but I think a lot of others already have that is why we have been so manically busy recently 

Steve,  Depending on how the brexit and pound go over the next six months I might want some next July.  Am now having to register as an importer in case of a no deal brexit.  

 

A

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2018 at 21:07, Alycidon said:

Steve,  Depending on how the brexit and pound go over the next six months I might want some next July.  Am now having to register as an importer in case of a no deal brexit.  

 

A

 

If we are still selling wholesale will be a pleasure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.