Lombardini Engine Worn Out In Less Then Two Years

Gardenequipment

RE the overheating, Definately make sure al the cooling fins are clear and engine breather is clear. Maybe worth putting a sump oil temperature sensor in, just to make sure oil is not getting cooked. ( abt 85 degree to 120 degrees ) Once oil has been overheated once it's pretty fuck ed. K

• 2 weeks later...

Afaik oil bath filters only can filter 90% or less particles. A Stumper is literally a dust cannon and the filter is very close to the pipe. 

There is a reason nearly any engine uses paper elements, some even have an additional safety filters, especially stumpers. 

Imho that oil bath filter is the worst system a stumper can have. 

In addition I firmly believe, that running a diesel wot all the time, is manhandling it. 

Ask farmers, they run their tractors way below max.. Wot is far away from the max torque, but this is what you want. Those lombardinis like 1800-2200rpms. Even it's an solid industrial engine, which is bullet proof, revving always to the red line, always takes it's tribute. Especially when under 100% load a stumper demands. 

Edited by marne

3 hours ago, marne said:

Afaik oil bath filters only can filter 90% or less particles. A Stumper is literally a dust cannon and the filter is very close to the pipe. 

There is a reason nearly any engine uses paper elements, some even have an additional safety filters, especially stumpers. 

Imho that oil bath filter is the worst system a stumper can have. 

In addition I firmly believe, that running a diesel wot all the time, is manhandling it. 

Ask farmers, they run their tractors way below max.. Wot is far away from the max torque, but this is what you want. Those lombardinis like 1800-2200rpms. Even it's an solid industrial engine, which is bullet proof, revving always to the red line, always takes it's tribute. Especially when under 100% load a stumper demands. 

aye, my lombardini engine on the chipper sounds like a chinook, real low rpms even when gobbling at full tilt

• 2 years later...
On 26/12/2018 at 14:52, Gardenequipment said:

Predator's service schedule for the air filter is every eight hours and for the oil change, every 200 hours, I have carried out these service schedules on a regular basis. I have to say when I clean the air filter, in general, it never looks particularly dirty. From what I understand, the engineers who supply the Lombardini engine quite often have machines in that are not serviced properly and end up putting a replacement engine in these particular machines. I am aware that many people aren't particularly good maintenance. However, over the past 30 years plus I have owned many different horticulture machines and never actually wore an engine out.

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I do appreciate it. 

BUMP🤔 so what was the outcome with this🤔

I run one and just wondered if there’s any improvements that could be made. 

5 hours ago, dan blocker said:

BUMP🤔 so what was the outcome with this🤔

I run one and just wondered if there’s any improvements that could be made. 

Hello Dan,

Thankfully, I traded my Predator 28 in for a petrol 38 RX. I actually came to a point where I refused to use the Predator 28, as it was so unreliable and costing huge amounts of money. I ended up trying the petrol 38 RX which was a carburettor version, but much more reliable than the diesel engine version. I waited until the fuel injection model became available, for a purchase.

The Predator 38 RX is a huge improvement than my old Predator 28, much smoother, quieter, more power and doesn't shake the machine to bits. The petrol fuel injection model is also considerably more economical and responsive than the petrol carburettor model.

So far the Predator 38 RX is going well, no real problems, apart from a new set of cutter bearings at 450 hours. I managed 850 hours out of my Predator 28 before I changed the bearings.

Also, dealing with Ben Burgess has been an excellent experience.

• Like 3