Lombardini Engine Worn Out In Less Then Two Years

Gardenequipment

I have a 28 hp Lombardini engine on a Predator P28, the engine has done 600 hours and is basically worn out beyond practical repair, so I am having a new engine fitted. This will be the third engine on this machine, the first engine sucked in some soundproofing material after 30 hours which made the engine overheat, fortunately, Lombardini replaced this engine free of charge.

The present engine has sucked in dirt through the air filter, it has an oil bath air filter which I am told is the best, however, dirt has still entered the engine and caused wear that is beyond practical repair. I regularly check the air filter and to be fair in general it doesn't seem to get particularly dirty. However, I carried out a particularly dusty job a few months ago when I was grinding out a very old hedgerow and I believe this is where the problems started.

The engine started burning excessive amounts of oil, probably a couple of pints of oil an hour! The engine is actually still under warranty, but it seems like I will have to pay for a new engine as this is classed as poor maintenance. I do clean the air filter regularly, however, it is clear that dirt has entered the engine.

My question is; is there any way that I can get a new engine under warranty or insurance, thoughts appreciated.

Incidentally, I had the same engine on a Carlton stump grinder and this engine was also replaced under warranty, due to a faulty casting on the block. I don't seem to be having much success with Lombardini engines!

51 minutes ago, Gardenequipment said:

I have a 28 hp Lombardini engine on a Predator P28, the engine has done 600 hours and is basically worn out beyond practical repair, so I am having a new engine fitted. This will be the third engine on this machine, the first engine sucked in some soundproofing material after 30 hours which made the engine overheat, fortunately, Lombardini replaced this engine free of charge.

The present engine has sucked in dirt through the air filter, it has an oil bath air filter which I am told is the best, however, dirt has still entered the engine and caused wear that is beyond practical repair. I regularly check the air filter and to be fair in general it doesn't seem to get particularly dirty. However, I carried out a particularly dusty job a few months ago when I was grinding out a very old hedgerow and I believe this is where the problems started.

The engine started burning excessive amounts of oil, probably a couple of pints of oil an hour! The engine is actually still under warranty, but it seems like I will have to pay for a new engine as this is classed as poor maintenance. I do clean the air filter regularly, however, it is clear that dirt has entered the engine.

My question is; is there any way that I can get a new engine under warranty or insurance, thoughts appreciated.

Incidentally, I had the same engine on a Carlton stump grinder and this engine was also replaced under warranty, due to a faulty casting on the block. I don't seem to be having much success with Lombardini engines!

Perhaps it might be worth paying for a written investigation by an independant and suitably qualified engineer.  Even then you might be up against it.  Good luck anyway.

• Like 2

There's definately something wrong with the air intake system somewhere. I'd get an independant report. A machine should stop running (first at high revs) due to lack of air when an air filter cloggs. There has to have been another route in for the dirty air.

My money would be upon a bad union in the pipework. If the same company who fitted the new engine are the ones telling you you have to pay for a third, it's likely they discovered the cause of the problem whilst investigating, and fixed the leak to avoid liability for not fitting it correctly 600 hours ago, sorry to say.

How long did it take for you to rack up 600 hours?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doobin said:

There's definately something wrong with the air intake system somewhere. I'd get an independant report. A machine should stop running (first at high revs) due to lack of air when an air filter cloggs. There has to have been another route in for the dirty air.

The problem with an oil bath filter is that it fails unsafe, once overloaded with dust it allows more through, which is why most modern engines have  paper element filters which gradually block as they become contaminated. Ideally you should place a paper element filter after the oil bath but this of course hinders the air intake somewhat.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

The problem with an oil bath filter is that it fails unsafe, once overloaded with dust it allows more through, which is why most modern engines have  paper element filters which gradually block as they become contaminated. Ideally you should place a paper element filter after the oil bath but this of course hinders the air intake somewhat.

I missed that bit. What modern engine still uses oil bath filters??

I think you have had bad luck. I have a chipper runs on the same engine, and had various dealings with air cooled lombardini in the past. Always found them very reliable. I change the oil bath every 30 hrs. Not sure what the frequency should be, but it always looks like it needs doing.

Would the fact it's a grinder and the engine isn't always level have anything to do with it?

• Like 1

Hi as Khriss says 600 hrs for this engine is nowt i would expect 15-20,000 hrs out of it, who fitted the oil bath fillter ? so this will be the 3rd engine in 630 hrs its either bad luck or you need to change your maintainace program and the air filter system, as i have said in many posts oil, filters and service parts are very cheap as compared to engine rebuilds,

• Like 2