Felling advice required

ABtrees

20 minutes ago, ABtrees said:

OK Am I getting that second bit right - are you suggesting pulling the butt down the hill ?  I can't get above it with the tractor and for the reasons above, there really isn't a decent anchor point above it

Yeah,if you have a tractor it should be a piece of piss.If the butt digs in and jams as your pulling it,just saw a section off and move the rope up the stem,then pull with the tractor again.

Make sure you have your hand signals pre organised with your tractor driver.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

Yeah,if you have a tractor it should be a piece of piss.If the butt digs in and jams as your pulling it,just saw a section off and move the rope up the stem,then pull with the tractor again.

Make sure you have your hand signals pre organised with your tractor driver.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and yes Stihlmad that is exactly what I have done probably 20 or more times over the years. with this one though (maybe proximity to the road, overall height - the interlock with the oak is est. 60 ft up because of the slope, and though my picture doesn't show it very well, has some substantial branches interlocked), I thought I would put it out there to see if anyone could suggest a better idea. 

I think I should have set out my stall a bit better (apologies for not doing so).  I'm not a professional arb.  this is on my own property for my own benefit / piece of mind. Been working in my own woods for the last 12 years and using a saw for over 30 yrs. but still feel (relatively) I know nothing and as said am always ready to learn / take advice. Unlike most of you guys on here I have the luxury of being able to take my time and look at it for a long while and work out a solution.  in this case I just thought I would ask !

5 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

where is AB Trees based ??? could help if not fare away,

Really appreciate the thought and offer.  Sadly (happily) based in deepest darkest France about 2 hours deeper than Mick !!! so unless someone needs a (busman's) holiday sometime soon....... and doesn't mind waiting to talk to the yellow vests on every 3rd roundabout !

13 hours ago, ABtrees said:

Really appreciate the thought and offer.  Sadly (happily) based in deepest darkest France about 2 hours deeper than Mick !!! so unless someone needs a (busman's) holiday sometime soon....... and doesn't mind waiting to talk to the yellow vests on every 3rd roundabout !

is that turn right at first set of lights, left at the T junction, 2nd exit of the roundabout, ? i think i will give that a miss as i dont think i could get back in time for tea,

Mibee hard to tell from the photo, but there does look to be a few trees above it to anchor a block too. Esp if have the anchor low down on th eanchor tree (u could even put a tie back on it, another rope on the anchor tree higher up and tie it back to another tree base further up the hill to spread load stop anchor tree pulling over)

If u have a few blocks as redirects (and suitable anchor points) the only thing that really affects the trctor position is the length of the winch cable.

So ur tractor can be anywhere reallly.

Possibly pulling the butt to a side, which ever side will suits the tangled crown might be easier as someone said earlier about the butt digging in if u pull it directly uphill.

Or throwline to get a nice high tie in point and try to pull them straight again.

Ur probably as well doing wot u said getting someone in and then watching, its not rocket science but everything looks easy when u have been shown the right/easy ways

At same time also  good to know ur limitations and stop, as thats when mistakes accidents happen if u push to far.