Estimated quantity of logs from tree sugury

Woodowner

200 quid a day with that forwarder is next to FA, I can’t see how a free lunch changes matters, but let’s not get bogged down on that.

As for the OP

It does seem a bit steep given what facts we have been given, 800 plus vat, but we don’t know location or if other quotes were obtained.

If he did get a quote (and they kept to the terms) before work commenced as seems likely then I cannot understand the issue.

Interesting you used the word profiteering to describe the pricing, it’s closely related to the word profit, what you actually earn after all costs taxes, tyres, all that stuff.

Too many think that just covering costs, drawing a wage and “providing a service” is all one should aspire to.

I would be a bit upset about being called uninformed and ill educated mind.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Yes joe.

you guys should have been working for bare minimum, barely covering costs, so you can moan about the low rates of the industry and that everyone should be upping their rates whilst simultaneously slagging off those charging decent rates for “ripping people off” and you’d have done that for £50, then back to moaning about low rates again 

Thats right, when the pendulum is all the way to the left you simply have to swing it all the way to the right to restore balance.....

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

200 quid a day with that forwarder is next to FA, I can’t see how a free lunch changes matters, but let’s not get bogged down on that.

As for the OP

It does seem a bit steep given what facts we have been given, 800 plus vat, but we don’t know location or if other quotes were obtained.

If he did get a quote (and they kept to the terms) before work commenced as seems likely then I cannot understand the issue.

Interesting you used the word profiteering to describe the pricing, it’s closely related to the word profit, what you actually earn after all costs taxes, tyres, all that stuff.

Too many think that just covering costs, drawing a wage and “providing a service” is all one should aspire to.

I would be a bit upset about being called uninformed and ill educated mind.

It was one day on the forwarder, one day titting around with a 30cc Echo. I rather enjoyed it, I'm between larger jobs and I'm helping out friends. 

I do not use the terms ill educated or uninformed pejoratively. I use them in the sense that I am personally uninformed and ill educated about brain surgery, deep sea exploration the use of tact on online forums! ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think Mr Downer has got exactly what he asked for and agreed to, he has obviously agreed to them leaving the chip and chogs. He queries the amount of firewood left but as Steve pointed out they may well of had a big chipper. Can't see this as anything other than a beef over the time taken vs price, would Woo have cared so much if this tree team had titted about and taken two days?

Bob

• Like 3

1 minute ago, aspenarb said:

I think Mr Downer has got exactly what he asked for and agreed to, he has obviously agreed to them leaving the chip and chogs. He queries the amount of firewood left but as Steve pointed out they may well of had a big chipper. Can't see this as anything other than a beef over the time taken vs price, would Woo have cared so much if this tree team had titted about and taken two days?

Bob

Yes, because he's mentioned more than once that he expected the logs to off-set the £1000. I'll assume he did not know or was not informed their Chippers could handle such sizes. So he most likely gauged the sticks he'd get would be much greater. I'll hazard a guess they just let him believe that and chipped away regardless knowing damn well he wanted those logs, albeit slender. Had the guys done this then they might have taken an extra half day. He'd have his logs, the site would also be free of all the Brush they clearly could not be bothered with and he'd feel like he got a good service. Instead he was robbed. By the sounds of it it could very well be a few from here...

• Like 2

to the op, have you told the company who did the work for you that you are unhappy??

probably the first thing to do.

as others have said small diameter stuff does tend to go through the chipper unless specificly requested not to.

i hope you have a better experience next time you use a tree surgeon.

carl.

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Yes, because he's mentioned more than once that he expected the logs to off-set the £1000. I'll assume he did not know or was not informed their Chippers could handle such sizes. So he most likely gauged the sticks he'd get would be much greater. I'll hazard a guess they just let him believe that and chipped away regardless knowing damn well he wanted those logs, albeit slender. Had the guys done this then they might have taken an extra half day. He'd have his logs, the site would also be free of all the Brush they clearly could not be bothered with and he'd feel like he got a good service. Instead he was robbed. By the sounds of it it could very well be a few from here...

You assume and guess an awful lot.

• Like 1