Estimated quantity of logs from tree sugury

Woodowner

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

Your wrong because you're talking about two different things...

We're talking about the things you do to earn a living, not a job you don't make a living at...

I wouldn't do a two hundred foot dead leaning oak over a raging river for a million, but perhaps you might.

And don't kid yourself, everytime you turn up to price a job theres a price band rattling around in your head..  even if its a tiny head with not much goin on inside it otherwise..

Haha. You price jobs by the square metre! Let's not throw insults eh?

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

Your wrong because you're talking about two different things...

We're talking about the things you do to earn a living, not a job you don't make a living at...

I wouldn't do a two hundred foot dead leaning oak over a raging river for a million, but perhaps you might.

And don't kid yourself, everytime you turn up to price a job theres a price band rattling around in your head..  even if its a tiny head with not much goin on inside it otherwise..

Point 1. Why would you work at all of not for a living?

Point 2. 100% I'd do that for a million. I'm pretty sure I could fly Reg and Graeme McMahon over for 10k each and have a lovely couple of days. I'll give you a shout to come and put the grass right when we're done. (Only if you're in the right price band though)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Oh yea . Of course . How is that working out in your area ?

It ain't working at all..  cause I don't exactly make a living doin tree's..  but if I did then, well we could try that to get shut of the competitions couldn't we?...

4 hours ago, Tommy_B said:

Haha. You price jobs by the square metre! Let's not throw insults eh?

I price jobs by the square mtr..   not exactly, I price a job like most people with a brain..

I look, see whats involved and figure what its worth and what my competition might charge if they're bein reasonable..  you know, just like you do..

its not rocket science, its a simple equation than anyone can do, even you...

Edited by Vespasian

5 hours ago, woodwizzard said:

I don't understand quoting to not get the job or if you don't want it, why not just say no thanks? Is this not potentially ripping people off?

Here’s how it works.

You're out pricing jobs on a Saturday afternoon, it’s going well, managed to secure some decent work.

Then one of the appointments is a leylandii hedge to reduce in height,  full of brambles, garden full of dogshit, customer an arse,  but it’s an easy days work max.

You are not really bothered about getting it, you almost don’t want to do it, but it seems silly just to say no so you give a price of £1200 plus vat. 

No loss to you if he doesn’t give you the work, but if he does, that’s a very nice earner.

Suprising how many of those do come in though!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Here’s how it works.

You're out pricing jobs on a Saturday afternoon, it’s going well, managed to secure some decent work.

Then one of the appointments is a leylandii hedge to reduce in height,  full of brambles, garden full of dogshit, customer an arse,  but it’s an easy days work max.

You are not really bothered about getting it, you almost don’t want to do it, but it seems silly just to say no so you give a price of £1200 plus vat. 

No loss to you if he doesn’t give you the work, but if he does, that’s a very nice earner.

Suprising how many of those do come in though!

Spot on Mick, and when they come in you know others went higher too! Weirdly the ones you don’t want and price accordingly nearly always come in. Sometimes though I think people actively choose the higher quotes.

It’s never a rip off if you quote, meet the spec you agreed to and bill the price you quoted in the timeframe you said you would. (If something has been really quick maybe because the customer has prepared well for example, I may offer to do something else with a machine whilst I’m there) Otherwise people would be going back on deals constantly, I’ve never had someone say ‘oh I only think it’s worth x’ after I’ve done a job and don’t give any indication that I might haggle, it’s a business not a tourist stall at the Turkish grand bizarre!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1