Estimated quantity of logs from tree sugury

Woodowner

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

They'd come back to me..

Cause I'd be doin em for 100..   I've decided such is your intransigence and nitpickyness, I'm gonna rum my competition out of town...   

You would not have time Vesp . Spending all day on one job .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, donnk said:

to the OP, just dont pay.

Offer what you think is reasonable (£350) and see what they come back with. 

They didnt even remove the chip, rip off merchants.

What makes you think that leaving the chip made the job cheaper? It costs most companies nothing to get rid of chip. It's further tinge to have to chip into a truck then shovel it into tonne bags. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, woodwizzard said:

I don't understand quoting to not get the job or if you don't want it, why not just say no thanks? Is this not potentially ripping people off?

It's not ripping someone off if they agree. Pricing things you don't want to get is more polite than saying you don't want to do the job. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

What makes you think that leaving the chip made the job cheaper? It costs most companies nothing to get rid of chip. It's further tinge to have to chip into a truck then shovel it into tonne bags. 

9 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

It's not ripping someone off if they agree. Pricing things you don't want to get is more polite than saying you don't want to do the job. 

Totally agree.

If I was asked to cut up the timber into firewood and shovel the chip off the van into bags I would be charging more than to remove it that's for sure.

Of the customer agreed to the price and the job was carried out as spec then the words ripped off shouldn't be mentioned at all. Not paying in full and offering to only pay a third of the cost, now that is ripping someone off!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Stubby said:

You would not have time Vesp . Spending all day on one job .

Yes, but people would get to know that I was very cheap, and that would have the effect of crashing the tree market for my competition..  they stuck with expensive equipment, me waiting on their call..

55 minutes ago, donnk said:

to the OP, just dont pay.

Offer what you think is reasonable (£350) and see what they come back with. 

They didnt even remove the chip, rip off merchants.

That is the worst advice yet.. Assuming there was a quote and they did the job to spec pay up. If your disappointed in the number of logs most tree firms would dump you a load to leave a happy customer..

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

I don't agree with this at all..

When you come upon a job I see a price band.. the lowest you're willing to work for, and the highest you would take off the job if given the opportunity to charge high..

For instance, if you'd accept payment of hundred quid on a slow day, theres no way you'd charge a thousand on a busy week..  even if you didn't like the customer.   you'd just know you'd gone from  getting a bonus to being a thief..   

5 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I don't agree with this at all..

When you come upon a job I see a price band.. the lowest you're willing to work for, and the highest you would take off the job if given the opportunity to charge high..

For instance, if you'd accept payment of hundred quid on a slow day, theres no way you'd charge a thousand on a busy week..  even if you didn't like the customer.   you'd just know you'd gone from  getting a bonus to being a thief..   

Wrong. The lowest I'm willing to work for and what the job is worth are two totally different things.

I'm capable to raking up leaves perfectly but you wouldn't pay me to do it. 

I wouldn't expect Rich Rule to work for 20 quid because it's only a little Apple tree. Everyone has their price, if the customer accepts one of a grand, it doesn't matter what you think about price bands really does it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

Wrong. The lowest I'm willing to work for and what the job is worth are two totally different things.

I'm capable to raking up leaves perfectly but you wouldn't pay me to do it. 

I wouldn't expect Rich Rule to work for 20 quid because it's only a little Apple tree. Everyone has their price, if the customer accepts one of a grand, it doesn't matter what you think about price bands really does it?

Your wrong because you're talking about two different things...

We're talking about the things you do to earn a living, not a job you don't make a living at...

I wouldn't do a two hundred foot dead leaning oak over a raging river for a million, but perhaps you might.

And don't kid yourself, everytime you turn up to price a job theres a price band rattling around in your head..  even if its a tiny head with not much goin on inside it otherwise..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

Yes, but people would get to know that I was very cheap, and that would have the effect of crashing the tree market for my competition..  they stuck with expensive equipment, me waiting on their call..

Oh yea . Of course . How is that working out in your area ?