Estimated quantity of logs from tree sugury

Woodowner

This thread seems to have stirred some emotions! There is only one side of the story known to anyone here, so that has to be taken into account..For what it's worth it doesn't look like a 1k job at all.. mornings work for two lads and any six inch chipper, but if someone who didn't particularly want the job priced it at that and then got it and continued to complete the job to an agreed spec then fair enough, but from the ( not great) photos it doesn't look like a well executed job. There is a middle ground between running a tree chopping charity for thanks, stale biscuits and tea and marching old dears to the post office to relieve them of their life savings after butchering a 12 ft maple. Seems to me this job was more in the style of bringing the old dear off down the road in the transit. Barring some exceptional circumstances e.g.. terraced house, no access and a hell of a long way from base there is not a grands worth in that.. that's obvious.. So, if you agreed a price it's your loss.if it was a case of ok lads, do the job and let me know what I owe ye at the end, it'll cop you on to get an estimate or two the next time. If it was a flyer in the door, you're a fool and there's a pack of drunken tinkers laughing at you right now. If it was a reputable company there is either another side to the story, they really didn't want the work or they are not as reputable as they seem. Somehow I have a feeling that right now there is a good ould booze up on a halting site near you.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

No you've obviously missed my point.. 

Most people look at a tree job and figure a price, we come to a consensus that its worth 150..

Thus you'd be charging that amount..   

If you decided that you'd undercut the value to get the job then its you who's losing money on the job by twenty quid..  I'd be getting the going rate and thus be better off than you..

And yes, 150 for day just now would be just fine..   my philosophy on life is to have a work life balance..  I live frugally that my time can be spent doin what I want and not what I have to, to make money... 

No, you’ve missed my point.

I didn’t say our fictitious job was worth £150, you did.

I’d be happy with £110.

So would another 5 customers that day.

Who is cheapest?

Who would the customers come back to?

• Like 1

Since this morn,/ afternoon and I asked simple questions , like who, how many guys and how many quotes etc. the op has not replied?? I go out for a few beers,,alright a skin full of beer after all its xmass partying time, and get back to all this,,,and still the op has not replied.

my guess he’s just stirring up a hornets nest. Or embarrassed to reply 

cheers, sleep well cos I will.?

6 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

No, you’ve missed my point.

I didn’t say our fictitious job was worth £150, you did.

I’d be happy with £110.

So would another 5 customers that day.

Who is cheapest?

Who would the customers come back to?

They'd come back to me..

Cause I'd be doin em for 100..   I've decided such is your intransigence and nitpickyness, I'm gonna rum my competition out of town...   

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wonky said:

Since this morn,/ afternoon and I asked simple questions , like who, how many guys and how many quotes etc. the op has not replied?? I go out for a few beers,,alright a skin full of beer after all its xmass partying time, and get back to all this,,,and still the op has not replied.

my guess he’s just stirring up a hornets nest. Or embarrassed to reply 

cheers, sleep well cos I will.?

My gut reaction was that this was someone posting a windup thread.. and even it is, so what, we've had a good run out of it....   ?

• Haha 1

"Snack at clients in Surrey yesterday"
IMG_3201.jpg

As for the overpricing question...
I've worked for guys who think £300 for a 12' cherry is fine.
£900 for deadwooding a 100' oak.
£1200 for a 3' horse chestnut snapped out
In Surrey.
Anywhere else in the country that would be expensive.
But in the south a yard will cost you a grand a month upwards.

How much do you think bankers,city traders etc earn a day?
You think a grands a lot?

A paye climber costs £200+ a day.
3 guys £600
overheads £100
Company investment and profit £100
Tax £175
Er.....
That'll be £975.

• Like 3